[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Technical Support Engineer

Tony Pipe Tony.Pipe at brl.ac.uk
Wed May 3 23:04:46 PDT 2017

Technical Support Engineer

Salary £28,452-£32,004

Fixed Term for 12 months and Full Time (but with potential for extension)

Closing date 12 May 2017

The MSc Robotics at BRL is an exciting mix of the latest technology
developments in this burgeoning and strongly inter-disciplinary area of
engineering. In fact, the remit of the students’ study crosses even
beyond engineering into all of the life sciences (e.g. Psychology,
Sociology, Biology). The programme has grown quickly to a size where
dedicated engineering support is required, and hence the requirement for
this role.

As well as providing the engineering support for the teaching programme,
a large part of your role will be to liaise with the student
dissertation project supervisory teams and work with the students in
assisting them on the software and hardware aspects of designing,
building and testing robot artefacts for R&D Projects.

In addition to these activities, there are many other ground-breaking
research-oriented areas taking place in this, the largest co-located
robotics laboratory in the UK, that require additional engineering
support from time to time. The successful applicant will, therefore,
need to have a flexible attitude towards occasionally providing
engineering support for BRL-based activities, beyond the MSc programme’s
support, in the software and hardware aspects of designing, building and
testing advanced robot artefacts, as well as assisting in maintaining
the good working status of the laboratory itself.

In all of these roles, you will be working amongst and alongside a
friendly and well-motivated team of co-workers who, together, support
the wide-ranging requirements of this steadily expanding laboratory that
conducts advanced work in all of the upcoming areas of robotics.

Other benefits, in addition to salary:

• a generous holiday allowance of 27 Days
• up to 12.5 bank holiday/closure days per year in addition;
• flexible working;
• excellent defined benefit pension schemes;
• option to participate in the cycle to work scheme;
• family friendly policies;
• on-site nursery at our Frenchay Campus;
• option to purchase childcare vouchers.

This post is based at our lively Frenchay campus where we have invested
in the latest facilities and resources to give our students access to
everything they need to succeed – with £200m being spent on new
state-of-the-art learning spaces and accommodation between now and 2020
to enhance our offer even further. Frenchay campus is within close
proximity to excellent motorway links and within walking distance of two
train stations, making UWE Frenchay Campus the ideal place to work for
those wishing to commute to Bristol.

Link to Bristol Robotics Laboratory advert to apply is:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__atsv7.wcn.co.uk_search-5Fengine_jobs.cgi-3FSID-3DamNvZGU9MTYzNjAwOSZvd25lcj01MDU1Mjc4Jm93bmVydHlwZT1mYWlyJnBvc3RpbmdfY29kZT00OTcmdnRfdGVtcGxhdGU9MTUzOA-3D-3D&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=AXGsUr18AqUtkQUU3Y-KVRBg_nBeUQZ6bLhPZ90L3ps&s=teN3_GpdqDVCSu7nBnJtX2KvZKfR91Oex4mLsqWmGrM&e=

--
Tony Pipe
Professor of Robotics and Autonomous Systems

Bristol Robotics Laboratory
T-Building
Frenchay Campus
Bristol UK BS16 1QY