[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] PhD position on Robot Design at IIT

Alberto Parmiggiani Alberto.Parmiggiani at iit.it
Fri May 19 06:06:44 PDT 2017

Apologies for cross-posting

PhD position with scholarship starting from November 2017 at the iCub Lab (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.iit.it_lines_icub&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=_NTjYc86Axd-I_S9VYRNsCFHZitXe1oOgh1hAfLlQAk&s=D620uEEg6xaSrORPq6HmdeYOBXBiIEAuLXs7BM8Ey1Q&e= ), Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia

Theme 3. Robot design for dexterous manipulation

Tutors: Dr. Alberto Parmiggiani, Prof. Giorgio Metta

Description
The unique capabilities of the human hand and arm enable us to perform extremely fine and dexterous movements, such as those needed to write or to juggle. The emergence of these capabilities was undoubtedly essential in human evolution: our physical characteristics yield a dexterity that is unparalleled in the animal kingdom. Moreover, our manual skills are an important part of our interaction with the environment and of our capacities for feeling, exploring, acting, planning, and learning.
Researchers have been trying to replicate the capabilities of natural systems in artificial ones, by designing and building robotic hands and arms. Numerous progresses have been made in the past 30 years, but the dexterity of robotic hands is still far from their biological counterparts. Indeed, further developments in this area are necessary and can suggest insights regarding the processes underlying dexterous manipulation.
For instance, creating better tactile sensing allows us to observe the touch patterns accompanying human hand actions. Designing different anthropomorphic hand and wrist shapes provides us with insights into the role of geometry for hand dexterity. Enabling robots to cope with a multitude of objects and actions challenges our understanding of how such skills need to be represented and coordinated.
This project will be carried out on the hand-forearm assembly of the iCub robot. In the initial part of the project, we will explore cutting edge technologies and experiment methods to enhance the hand and wrist capabilities. We will then work to integrate and implement the most promising approaches on the robot platform, and ensure they are sufficiently dependable to serve as a basis for advanced and dexterous manipulation tasks.

Requirements
Successful candidates should be highly motivated to pursue independent and interdisciplinary research. A background in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines is required.
Hands-on experience with analysis, design and implementation of robotic systems, as well as sensors and actuators, is preferred.

* Official call: PhD Course in Bioengineering and Robotics. Curriculum "Humanoids and Advanced Robotics" (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__phd.dibris.unige.it_biorob_media_PhD-2520themes-252033o-2520-2D-2520Humanoids-2520and-2520Advanced-2520Robotics-2520-282017-29.pdf&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=_NTjYc86Axd-I_S9VYRNsCFHZitXe1oOgh1hAfLlQAk&s=VxrUBBwE5wDBRqYZjY23SsnxrVsIhQ2RI4oQcGGu9z0&e= )
* Applications *must* be done online; for instructions see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__iit.it_phd-2Dschool&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=_NTjYc86Axd-I_S9VYRNsCFHZitXe1oOgh1hAfLlQAk&s=ih539FIsdfohF2LXET99_EP54OhsVwkUdxKoB8AhU_I&e=
* Application deadline: June 13, 2017.
* Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact: Alberto Parmiggiani <alberto.parmiggiani_(at)_iit.it<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__iit.it&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=_NTjYc86Axd-I_S9VYRNsCFHZitXe1oOgh1hAfLlQAk&s=Ee21fVvKYh6-7bD6wvqmyIOzwcgzcFgyh1Zjdaa3iRQ&e= >>

Alberto Parmiggiani
Technologist - Mechatronics
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.iit.it_&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=_NTjYc86Axd-I_S9VYRNsCFHZitXe1oOgh1hAfLlQAk&s=ZdMHXQ9K62rJUNM5vMtdPNPsKCaYxqGA2KhX2ARlhcA&e= > - via Morego 30, 16163 Genova, Italy