[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Perception for HRI position at Huawei

Crystal Chao crystal.chao at huawei.com
Wed May 24 19:13:34 PDT 2017

Senior Architect – Perception for Human-Robot Interaction (HRI)
Santa Clara, CA
Our project is developing a new class of robotic platforms for social interaction. The project is at an exciting early stage where you can have significant strategic impact on a potentially massive market opportunity. Your role covers strategy, architecture, and implementation of perception for human-robot interaction across a global effort that includes locations in Silicon Valley, Boston, Shenzhen, and Beijing. You will work with a cross-disciplinary team of designers, hardware engineers, and software engineers in order to rapidly prototype real-time perception modules on social robots and take them to production.
Job Responsibilities

  *   Design, implement, and evaluate custom multimodal perception solutions for social human-robot interaction, including but not limited to:
     *   Activity and gesture recognition
     *   Affective state estimation
     *   Engagement detection
     *   Reference resolution
  *   Design sensor architectures for the robot hardware to fit product requirements
  *   Develop and manage perception strategy including partnerships, software architecture, algorithms, development process, and human resourcing
  *   Design, implement, and integrate perception modules
  *   Debug and optimize performance of production code
  *   Write documentation and tests for code
  *   Collaborate with cross-disciplinary team of designers, hardware engineers, and software engineers to design solutions
  *   Work independently and in a self-directed manner on software implementation
Requirements for position:

  *   PhD in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Robotics, or related field
  *   5+ years developing computer vision systems
  *   Experience with perception applied to control of real-time robotics systems, especially interactive systems
  *   Experience with multimodal sensor fusion spanning visual, acoustic, text, and IMU data
  *   Experience with pipelines for real-time detection, pose estimation, and tracking of humans
  *   Experience with balancing both classical geometric vision techniques and machine learning applied to vision
  *   Experience with depth (RGBD, stereo) sensing and algorithms
  *   Experience with GPU programming and performance optimization for embedded platforms
  *   Experience designing data collection and annotation pipelines for novel problems
  *   Experience programming in C++
  *   Work authorization in the US (no H1B or green card sponsorship)
  *   Willingness to travel internationally and work across time zones

Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established end-to-end advantages in telecom networks, devices and cloud computing. We are committed to creating maximum value for telecom operators, enterprises and consumers by providing competitive solutions and services. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 170 countries, serving more than one third of the world’s population. Huawei has over 150,000 employees, approximately 70,000 of which are engaged in Research & development. Huawei operates a global network of 14 regional headquarters, 16 R&D Centers, 28 Innovation Centers jointly operated with customers, and 45 Training Centers. Huawei is leading the way by rethinking the future. From devices to telecom infrastructure to cloud computing and convergence solutions, we are rethinking every link in the chain with ICT based innovation to deliver a better future...faster.

Apply at the following link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__chm.tbe.taleo.net_chm01_ats_careers_requisition.jsp-3Forg-3DFUTUREWEITECH-26cws-3D1-26rid-3D7703&d=DwIGaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=JPpgJrD-st6KfDz1yFuPXT7ItG9xPai4n7ndv3qfc3o&s=7-6hddhrrzBKPp3yLjoi8rboK4giUFHBCUQ0_9im0D0&e=

Crystal Chao, PhD
Chief Scientist, Huawei Technologies
2330 Central Expressway A1-20, Santa Clara, CA 95050