[robotics-worldwide] [journals] Call for Papers: Special Issue on Foundations of Resilience for Networked Robotic Systems

Amanda Prorok asp45 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 11:01:20 PDT 2017

Call for Papers
Autonomous Robots, Springer
Special Issue: Foundations of Resilience for Networked Robotic Systems

Paper submission deadline: April 1, 2018

====================
BACKGROUND

The falling costs of communication, computation and storage technologies
are driving the integration of sensors, actuators, and processors into
information technology networks, and we are witnessing a rise of globally
accessible robots and robotic services. As we strive to design, control,
and coach such large-scale systems, we rely on models and algorithms that
help us understand the impact of heterogeneity and scale. On the one hand,
as we program and supervise distinct robots individually, we forgo
efficiency. On the other hand, as we attempt to manage our robot networks
at scale, we forgo guarantees at the individual platform level.

If autonomous systems are to succeed, they must be built to resist
environmental disturbances and operational malfunctions. Resilience is the
capability to endure unexpected disruptions to the network, to recover
swiftly from negative events, and bounce back to ‘normality’. New
algorithmic and mathematical foundations will help us guarantee resilient,
reliable and cooperative operation, and ultimately, long-term autonomy.

This special issue aims at presenting state-of-the art research in
designing heterogeneous robotic systems, guaranteeing / analyzing
resilience in robot networks, and modeling heterogeneity and resilience in
robot-robot or human-robot teams.

====================
TOPICS OF INTEREST

We are soliciting contributions in the areas of networked robotic systems,
multi-robot systems, distributed robotics, and collaborative human-robot
teams. Topics include:

Analysis of robustness and resilience in robot networks
Control and coordination strategies for heterogeneous robot teams
Resilient perception-action loops
Management of accidental heterogeneity caused by drift (SW) or
wear-and-tear (HW)
Machine learning strategies under adversarial conditions
Assurance of autonomy
Sensor fusion in heterogeneous teams
Quantification of heterogeneity, diversity measures

====================
DEADLINES

Submission deadline: April 1, 2018
1st round of review:  July 1, 2018
Revised submission due:  August 1, 2018
Final notification:  September 1, 2018

====================
GUEST EDITORS

Amanda Prorok, University of Cambridge, UK
Brian Sadler, Army Research Laboratory, USA
Magnus Egerstedt, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Vijay Kumar, University of Pennsylvania, USA

More information at:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__static.springer.com_sgw_documents_1619933_application_pdf_CFP-5FAURO-5F&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=so6i6MYficKPyHnG1Dle11xKzZd97Wdd9JBVYDr--wY&s=inySWM_v3V-2zMWQoTj8SX6wiZDsFj7m7fDimcrIbIA&e=
Foundations_of_Resilience.pdf

Amanda Prorok
www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~asp45

Dept. of Computer Science and Technology <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cst.cam.ac.uk_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=so6i6MYficKPyHnG1Dle11xKzZd97Wdd9JBVYDr--wY&s=oTvwILLMuNoPKHy47BnvqGotYHcZUwXm2owAdr_eIOM&e=>
University of Cambridge
Cambridge, UK