[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] We Robot 2018

Bill Smart smartw at oregonstate.edu
Tue Oct 17 08:33:15 PDT 2017

We invite submissions for the seventh annual robotics law and policy
conference—We Robot 2018—to be held at Stanford Law School in Palo Alto,
California on April 12-14, 2018. In past years, the conference has been
held at University of Miami School of Law, University of Washington School
of Law, Stanford Law School, and Yale Law School. The conference website is
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.werobot2018.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=uWi-MlhmRr_l79qWcJWCULlkQz6GSbLuBJbgOZYOCw4&s=85tsunx5B8Ys7UTdVQo4EWHI9OD6jMSOdL844o64f4I&e=.

We Robot fosters conversations between those who research, design, or
influence the legal and social structures in which robots operate and those
that design, build, and deploy robots. We encourage contributions resulting
from interdisciplinary collaborations, such as those between roboticists,
legal, ethical, economic, social science and policy scholars.

Qualified submissions include scholarly paper abstracts, detailed outlines
of robotics demos, and expressions of interest in being a discussant.
Other creative proposals are welcome. We Robot favors proposals (written
scholarship and relevant demos) that are a collaboration between law/policy
scholars and technologists.  This year we are particularly interested in
submissions exploring the interface between the digital and physical world.

Scholarly Papers

Scholarly papers are academic works presented by a discussant instead of
the author(s). Topics of interest for the scholarly paper portion of the
conference will tend to focus on the interaction between robots and social
structures and include, but are not limited to:
- The interface between the digital and the physical.
- Positive or negative impacts of robotics on vulnerable populations.
- Inclusion and diversity in the field of robotics and robotics law and
policy.
- Law/policy considerations in the evaluation or enhancement of security
and safety in publicly accessible or public facing robots.

These are only some examples of relevant topics. We are very interested in
papers on other topics driven by actual or probable robot deployments. The
purpose of this conference is to help set a research agenda relating to the
deployment of robots in society, to inform policy-makers of the issues, and
to help design legal rules that will maximize diversity and minimize
exclusion arising from the increased deployment of robots in society.
Papers are selected on a blind basis by an interdisciplinary program
committee.

Demonstrations

Proposals for demonstrations may be purely descriptive and
designer/builders will be asked to present their work themselves. We’d like
to hear about your latest innovations, what’s on the drawing board for the
next generations of robots, or about legal and policy issues you have
encountered in the design or deploy process.

Discussants

We also invite expressions of interest from potential discussants. Every
paper accepted will be assigned a discussant who will present and comment
on the paper. Because it is an expectation at We Robot that our audience is
in fact a larger group of participants who have read the papers as a
precondition of attendance, these presentations will be very brief (no more
than 15 minutes) and will consist mostly of making a few points critiquing
the author’s paper to kick off the conversation. Authors will then respond
briefly (no more than 5 minutes). The rest of the session will consist of a
group discussion with the discussant acting as a moderator, whose role is
to encourage and promote diverse, inclusive, and active participation from
our audience.

Scholarly Paper Prizes

The program committee will select an “Overall Best Paper” and a “Best
Paper” submitted by an early career academic.   The prize for each award is
$2,000.   Scholarly papers are only eligible if submitted in a timely
fashion (see timeline below) and “early career academic” is defined as a
scholar with a full-time appointment but less than three years teaching
experience as of the abstract submission deadline.

Abstracts/Proposals are due by 5pm Pacific Time on November 6, 2017
Submissions will be reviewed and notifications of acceptance will be
delivered on December 11, 2017
Final papers (or definitive deliverable if a project) are due no later than
March 1, 2018