[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Faculty positions in Robotics at Imperial College London

Andrew Davison a.davison at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 10:30:18 PDT 2017

Our department at Imperial College London, which already has significant
strength in robotics, vision and AI (Andrew Davison, Stefan Leutenegger,
Marc Deisenroth and others) is hiring new faculty, and we are
particularly looking to strengthen our group in robotics and related
areas. Please see the official details below, or feel free to contact me
informally.

Andrew Davison.

----

The Department of Computing at Imperial College London invites
applications for full-time, faculty members at the Lecturer/Senior
Lecturer level (comparable to tenure-track Assistant/Associate
Professorships) who can contribute to research and teaching, in
particular in the following areas:

Artificial Intelligence (including autonomous systems, multi-agent
systems, knowledge representation and reasoning, logic-based AI,
planning and natural language processing);
Machine Learning (including probabilistic models, approximate inference,
reinforcement learning, deep learning, optimisation, computational
learning theory and probabilistic programming);
Cyber-physical Systems (including sensing systems and networks, embedded
systems, Internet-of-Things and wearable computing);
Robotics (including all aspects of machine intelligence, perception and
interaction, robot vision, navigation, planning, manipulation,
human-robot interaction and virtual & augmented reality).

Notwithstanding the above focus, exceptional candidates from any area of
Computer Science are also encouraged to apply.

Imperial College London is a world-leading university whose reputation
for excellence in teaching and research attracts students and staff of
the highest international quality. The three Faculties, Engineering,
Natural Sciences and Medicine, together with the Business School explore
the interface between science, medicine, engineering and management.

The Department of Computing is one of the largest Computing departments
in the UK, and is at the forefront of academic research and teaching in
Computer Science. Its research has been ranked in the top three in the
UK in the Research Excellence Framework undertaken by the Higher
Education funding Council for England in 2014. The Sunday Times
University Guide ranks the Department’s research and teaching as second
in Computer Science. For further information about the Department’s
research and teaching, visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.imperial.ac.uk_computing_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7JdYhc3ZVzz0c1Z5I7q8PpeijSgRu8D42-ehaVJjdhs&s=Z7hIEGpWTlzUXtM2nLSry7RpvCFCdwf-Tfrk9k9FTTY&e=.

We offer an attractive salary package (including pension schemes to
which the employer makes significant contributions) as well as generous
terms and conditions of service. In addition, we provide numerous
benefits to our staff and students, including subsidised childcare on
campus, flexible and family-friendly working policies and opportunities
for further professional development and sabbaticals.

You will have a PhD (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a relevant
field. You should be able to demonstrate an ability to establish
outstanding independent research, to contribute to undergraduate and
postgraduate teaching programmes in the Department and to supervise PhD
students.

As this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, a
satisfactory (standard/enhanced/enhanced for regulated activity)
Disclosure and Barring Service check will be required for the successful
candidate. Further information about the DBS disclosure process can be
found at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.homeoffice.gov.uk_agencies-2Dpublic-2Dbodies_dbs_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7JdYhc3ZVzz0c1Z5I7q8PpeijSgRu8D42-ehaVJjdhs&s=fwtG6q1ol_Bb70tws2pgwScNn1QXN1RIJZYZj-zQN8o&e=.

How to apply:

Our preferred method of application is online via our website, please go
to https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.imperial.ac.uk_job-2Dapplicants_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7JdYhc3ZVzz0c1Z5I7q8PpeijSgRu8D42-ehaVJjdhs&s=qpNbcgnlMg8ecmkI4VP8F48hOsuWPqvUECe9KZJ3Yzk&e= and search using vacancy
reference number ENGxxx.

In addition to completing the online application, candidates should attach:

A full CV including a publication list;
A list of the four most significant publications. For each of the four
publications, please include a short statement (100 words maximum)
highlighting the key contributions made by the applicant in that work;
A research statement that describes your previous research contributions
and future research plans (no more than two pages);
A teaching statement that describes your previous teaching experience
and potential contributions to teaching in the Department (no more than
two pages).

Applicants should contact three referees before applying to ensure their
willingness to provide a reference for the present post.

For queries regarding the application process, applicants should contact
Mrs Margaret Hall: margaret.hall at imperial.ac.uk

Imperial Managers lead by example.

Closing date: 18th December 2017 (Midnight GMT)
Committed to equality and valuing diversity. We are also an Athena SWAN
Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Two Ticks
Employer, and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect
for trans people.

Prof. Andrew Davison FREng
Professor of Robot Vision
Director of the Dyson Robotics Laboratory at Imperial College

Department of Computing
Imperial College London
180 Queen's Gate
SW7 2AZ, UK

Office: Room 303, William Penney Laboratory
+44-20-75948316

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.doc.ic.ac.uk_-7Eajd_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7JdYhc3ZVzz0c1Z5I7q8PpeijSgRu8D42-ehaVJjdhs&s=P1x3MO0Eju0c7UMKo7IAFku7u5sag01gy-9tzs9Nb04&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.google.com_-2BAndrewDavison_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7JdYhc3ZVzz0c1Z5I7q8PpeijSgRu8D42-ehaVJjdhs&s=H9s41AIMZkU0xC5fveJcvG4bLNE4jSAW-Yw7cvWsY10&e=
ajd at doc.ic.ac.uk