[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Lead SLAM Robotics Engineer

Mark Palatucci markmp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:34:53 PDT 2017

Job Title: Lead SLAM Robotics Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA
How to apply: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__boards.greenhouse.io_anki_jobs_815578&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=TAx3fZHHvPh0p4BCGtkY9__icpg4EaeyT8IY_f7fuUY&s=kXWUCbdQcCo4SMxa3RoDfIl_bz4raLqRf6fkDVeEbAE&e=

Anki is one of the first companies to successfully produce and sell
consumer robots at mass market scale. With two hit entertainment products,
Overdrive and Cozmo, we are now making a big push to scale our robotics
platform into broader consumer markets, and SLAM (Simultaneous Localization
And Mapping) is one of the fundamental building blocks to making robots
smart and useful around the home.  To date, we have we've closed over $200M
in investments from top tier investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and JP
Morgan Chase and are now growing our talented core robotics team.

We are seeking a “hands on” technical leader to be our first employee on a
brand new, high-impact robotics project.  In this key role, you will be
responsible for leading our efforts for giving our robots the ability to
make sense of its environment and move seamlessly within it. You have
worked with a variety of sensors, including cameras and LIDAR, and
computationally-constrained embedded platforms to enable robots to navigate
in real-time. You understand the specific challenges of designing a robotic
system that can move reliably from point A to point B in a cluttered indoor
environment, and one that the robot has never seen before.

We’re looking for engineers who are up to the challenge of creating a robot
that reliably functions in thousands of people’s homes around the world.
You’ve done your time in academic labs, read the papers, studied the
algorithms; but now you want to make it work out there in the real world,
running safely alongside real people. You pride yourself on your ability to
engineer robust systems informed by a clear understanding of the big
picture. We want someone who thinks on their feet, is curious, creates
tools or processes as needed to get the job done, and enjoys taking on a
challenge.

As you know robotics is multidisciplinary by definition. Robotics mixed
with the creative elements of animation and entertainment, produced at a
consumer scale, is even more challenging. So, our ideal candidate is happy
to work on a variety of problems, stepping up as needed to help and
interact with people from all parts of the organization.

If you’re ready to use the full scope of your expertise, you’ve found the
right company* to push the boundaries of consumer robotics.*

*Duties and Responsibilities*

   - Lead the development effort of Anki’s core indoor SLAM technologies
   and how they interact with and inform the rest of the robotic system.
   - Beyond SLAM you will also be critical in the development of systems
   relating to motion planning, perception, and safety.
   - Openly collaborate with an experienced team of robotics, vision, AI,
   and hardware and software engineers to deliver the best motion and path
   planning experience
   - Work closely with designers, engineers, and testers to deliver the
   best user experience possible

*Must-Have Qualifications*

   - Minimum 5+ years of relevant commercial experience
   - Hands-on experience with robotics
   - Practical experience developing and deploying SLAM technology on a
   mobile robotic platform
   - Familiar with path planning algorithms
   - Familiar with ROS and OpenCV
   - Very strong C++ skills
   - Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
   - Excellent communication skills
   - Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, iterative development
   environment
   - Ability to read and understand academic papers and turn them into
   production code
   - Comfortable diving into a large codebase that spans multiple devices
   and understanding it quickly not only through sheer awesomeness but also
   through asking questions early and often
   - Comfortable working in a fluid environment, ripping out or changing
   code as requirements and needs evolve
   - Comfortable working with complex systems, and trying to tame that
   complexity for the benefit of both users and your fellow developers
   - Excellent coding and testing habits. Our robots operate in the often
   unpredictable real world. You take pride in delivering clearly-written,
   reusable, and well-tested code in a timely fashion.
   - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Robotics, EE or related field

*Desirable Qualifications*

   - Experience with Matlab
   - Familiarity with Python and/or C#
   - Graduate-level degree
   - Previous team leadership experience

*Benefits*

   - Competitive salaries, stock options and great benefits (health,
   subsidized public transportation costs, generous vacation)
   - Great San Francisco office with lots of light and great views,
   convenient to every mode of mass transit – on wheels, on rails and on water
   - Agile startup environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have
   a huge impact
   - Free catered lunches, snacks and drinks
   - You get to work on innovative products and challenging problems with
   some amazingly talented (and fun) people!