[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] PhD POSITION IN SMART MATERIALS FOR SOFT ROBOTIC MANIPULATION (FRANCE)
frederic.chapelle at sigma-clermont.fr
Mon Apr 23 04:25:49 PDT 2018
PhD POSITION IN SMART MATERIALS FOR SOFT ROBOTIC MANIPULATION (FRANCE)
The PhD will take place at the "Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, Civil
Engineering, Industrial Engineering" and "Image, Perception Systems,
Robotics" research groups of the “Institut Pascal” laboratory (UMR 6602
– UCA/CNRS/SIGMA). The campus is located in Clermont-Ferrand, France:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.institutpascal.uca.fr_index.php_en_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=pw1o7hrMpzO1I0iNEl04dCL1cOBgmPA5tfHW3RqC6Ic&s=IMsEewB5MOVWzbvyLuyvy9ONRHGZK7hMLWE6uU03VuU&e=. Funding is already
acquired and available.
The aim will be to develop methods for the choice and integration of
smart and multi-layered materials (soft and rigid), inside robotic
grippers with tactile sensors for mobile manipulators. The developed
models (validated with experimental data) should be used for
understanding the behavior of the proposed materials during robotic
manipulation tasks. The work will be set in the context of “Factory of
the Future”: therefore, these developments on smart materials and
strategies to control their physical properties will be combined in the
specific implementation of a robotic gripper able to grasp objects with
different shapes, sizes and weights. Eventually, they will involve major
advances in the highly innovative field of “Soft Robotics”.
From a scientific point of view, the research should address:
• the definition of new approaches for the modeling and optimization
of intelligent systems with active materials, based on multiphysics
• the influence of the behavior of these materials on the
observability (sensors) and commandability (actuators) of the designed
• the manufacturing of the demonstrator (preferentially 3D printed).
Candidates should send the following items, in a single email with “[RW]
PHD-GRIP” in the subject line:
1. A CV and motivation letter in pdf format.
2. Grades and rank obtained at the Master's degree or equivalent.
3. Email of at least 2 references (previous professors, research
The recipients of the mail are:
Yuri.Lapusta at sigma-clermont.fr
Youcef.Mezouar at sigma-clermont.fr
Frederic.Chapelle at sigma-clermont.fr
Juan.Corrales at sigma-clermont.fr
The elements supporting the application are:
• good skills in a finite element software (Ansys, Abaqus...),
• good programming skills with Matlab/C++ (ROS bases will be
• scientific and technical knowledge about the physical properties of
soft and active materials,
• scientific and technical knowledge about the modeling and control
of robotic manipulators (kinematics, sensor-based control strategies...).
More information about the robotics-worldwide