[robotics-worldwide] [software] Code Release: FAST-inspired Corner Detector for Event Cameras

Davide Scaramuzza scaramuzza.davide at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:50:59 PDT 2018

Dear colleague,

We are excited to release open-source our FAST-inspired corner detector
for event cameras.

Inspired by frame-based pre-processing techniques that reduce an image
to a set of features, which are typically the input to higher-level
algorithms, we propose a method to reduce an event stream to a corner
event stream. Our goal is twofold: extract relevant tracking information
(corners do not suffer from the aperture problem) and decrease the event
rate for later processing stages. Our event-based corner detector is
very efficient due to its design principle, which consists of working on
the Surface of Active Events (a map with the timestamp of the latest
event at each pixel) using only comparison operations. Our method
asynchronously processes event by event with very low latency. Our
implementation is capable of processing a million events per second on a
single core (less than a micro-second per event) and reduces the event
rate by a factor of 10 to 20.
The code is available on GitHub:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_uzh-2Drpg_rpg-5Fcorner-5Fevents&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2W0AFKzXiYUYz6tbkTaKutPESf-5RS9EDKsAP2p-23o&s=ronDwXSp12T8I_ki3aOV5hMCCqhQ9KglKcGXlqEw7Rk&e=

Reference paper:
E. Mueggler, C. Bartolozzi, D. Scaramuzza
Fast Event-based Corner Detection
British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC), London, 2017.

Best regards,
The authors: Elias Mueggler, Chiara Bartolozzi, Davide Scaramuzza

--

Prof. Dr. Davide Scaramuzza
Director of the Robotics and Perception Group:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_people-5Fscaramuzza.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2W0AFKzXiYUYz6tbkTaKutPESf-5RS9EDKsAP2p-23o&s=rK0sG-e0A_5SGOMegGuyRS5lW0GbohYg_P8upTXLpsY&e=
Inst. of Informatics, University of Zurich,
Inst. of Neuroinformatics, University of Zurich and ETH Zurich
Andreasstrasse 15, AND 2.10, Zurich, Switzerland
Office: +41 44 635 24 09
YouTube Channel: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_ailabRPG_videos&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2W0AFKzXiYUYz6tbkTaKutPESf-5RS9EDKsAP2p-23o&s=hgA5UPYbi_nA0W-pH9V35GtPRFxD4mR2lq0yYl5r3cQ&e=