[robotics-worldwide] [Meetings] CfP: RSS Workshop on Fundamental Issues in Symbiotic Human-Robot Interaction

Yutaka Nakamura nakamura at is.sys.es.osaka-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 29 22:28:32 PDT 2018

RSS 2018 Workshop on
Fundamental Issues in Symbiotic Human-Robot Interaction

Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Date: Jun 30, 2018

Important Dates:
---------------------------
May 25: Submission deadline (AoE time)
May 30: Notification of acceptance
June 5: Camera-ready paper submission deadline
June 30 (Afternoon): Workshop

---------------------------
The focus of robotics research is shifting from industrial robots to
robots working in daily life situations and one of the most important
issues is to develop autonomous social robots capable of interacting
and living together with humans, i.e., symbiotic robots. One of the
goals of this research is to provide communication support for people,
such as relational support robots for elderly people, who need
personal contact and communication as much as they need physical care.
Another aim is to offer a framework for understanding how humans act
in specific situations.

Some of the questions we would like to discuss include:
- What are the necessary technologies for building humanoid and
androids to interact with humans?
- What kinds of services can humanoids provide to society?
- What problems arise from the social implementation of symbiotic robots?
- What can we study with the very human-like robots?
- What are the fundamental issues to solve?
To stimulate the discussion, organizers will demonstrate one of our
androids, the world-famous, state-of-the art communication robots and
bring you a brainstorming workshop with our research activities"
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_rss-2D2018-2Dworkshop-2Dshri_program_demonstration&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=tk0v17Ig_oaMp4R9L-K1P9AN5l2cTCh7tOwKVKcc5PE&s=R0xRshmIY3NM7UnSjChqSFw40Nm-1xGeFS4HqEJlZ2U&e=

Speakers:
----------------------------
- Francesco Rea (Italian Institute of Technology, Invited speaker)
- Alexander I. Rudnicky (Carnegie Mellon University, invited speaker)
- Hiroshi Ishiguro (Osaka University)
- Tatsuya Kawahara (Kyoto University)
- Yuichiro Yoshikawa (Osaka University)
- Yutaka Nakamura (Osaka University)

Submission
--------------------------
We invite authors to submit an extended abstract. The submissions link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_rss-2D2018-2Dworkshop-2Dshri_submission&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=tk0v17Ig_oaMp4R9L-K1P9AN5l2cTCh7tOwKVKcc5PE&s=sRoMJt30Lr4ToapCV6rf65r1qqJbzExoPkD4p82H1U0&e=
The papers will be reviewed by organizers and about 15 papers will be
selected. All accepted contributions will be presented in the poster
session and the best contribution will also be selected for the oral
presentations. To encourage the discussions, not only solid research,
but also ongoing work or position papers will be accepted.

Paper format (Extended abstract):
- Up to 2 pages excluding figures and citations.
- Style of the paper: the official RSS style.
- File format: PDF
The guidlines for the RSS style is available from
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.roboticsconference.org_information_authorinfo_&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=tk0v17Ig_oaMp4R9L-K1P9AN5l2cTCh7tOwKVKcc5PE&s=hifs0NcReLHY9EFjRbO5dhyIcKrLVig-Z-uDAk84zR8&e= and you can
download a template for LaTeX and Word.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Human robot interaction
- Humanoids, androids
- Spoken dialogue system
- Artificial intelligence