[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Post-Doc Opportunity: Modularizing Fine-Motor Actions for Collaborative Robots

Ania Picard appicard at umd.edu
Mon Apr 30 08:02:55 PDT 2018

*Unique Post-Doc Opportunity:  Modularizing Fine-Motor Actions for
Collaborative Robots*

One of the challenging applications in autonomous systems design is to
enable robots to collaborate with humans in daily activities. To advance
generalization of dexterous actions, requires  a modularization of actions
and development of flexible modules  that involve vision, tactile sensing,
learning from humans, motor control and planning.

*Project Synopsis*
*The Maryland Robotics Center (MRC) at the University of Maryland, College
Park,* recently launched the *MRC Postdoctoral Fellowship Program*. As part
of this program, Drs. Aloimonos, Fermüller, and Baras are seeking a
postdoctoral candidate under the theme Human-Robot Interactions. The study
brings together the fields of Computer Vision and Control, with the
overarching goal of enhancing the functionality and fidelity of human-robot
interactions to enable generalization of manipulation actions. The goal of
this project is to develop a modular software framework for manipulation
tasks. As specific application we seek to develop modules for robots of
different hardware configuration performing cleaning tasks in a household
setting. The robotic platforms in our lab include UR 10 robotics arms,
three-finger grippers, a Shadow hand, as well as a Baxter and Sawyer robot.

*Minimum Qualifications*
Applicants are required to have a Ph.D. in engineering, computer science,
or a related field by the expected start date for this position, June 1,
2018. Applicants should be intellectually curious researchers at an early
stage in their scholarly career, with a demonstrated capacity for
independent work. We recognize that strength comes through diversity and
actively seek and welcome people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and
identities. We encourage women and minority candidates to apply.

*Preferred Qualifications*
A research background in Robotics, Robot vision, or Control, while not
essential, is advantageous.

*Application Materials*
1. Applicant’s CV, including publication list.
2. Contact information for three references, preferably including PhD
thesis advisor, who can provide an assessment of the applicant’s
qualifications and potential for innovative independent research.

Email application materials to both yiannis at cs.umd.edu and fer at cfar.umd.edu
.

This project has funding guaranteed for one year, and benefits will be
provided. Renewing beyond the first year is subject to funding availability
and performance.