[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nd Call for Participation for 1st Workshop on Proximity Perception in Robotics at IROS 2018

Stefan Escaida Navarro stefan.escaida-navarro at inria.fr
Fri Jul 13 05:59:20 PDT 2018

Dear robotics community, Proximity Perception is an emerging field in
robotics in which novel hardware and methods are investigated. Proximity
Perception is characterized, among others, by the fact that many diverse
measurement principles (optical, radar, capacitive, etc.) are featured.
The research activities in this field reach into domains such as safe
human-robot interaction (HRI) as well as object exploration and
manipulation. The goal of the workshop is to bring together the
community in the hopes to be the first in a series of events around this
topic. The workshop is aimed at the broad  robotics community. On the
one hand it features talks by key researchers of the field, who will
provide valuable insights due to their experience. On the other hand the
program features a demo session, which will make it easy for newcomers
to the field to understand the capabilities of the different sensors
systems and algorithms. In this sense our workshop is especially
attractive for people working in Tactile Perception and Haptics who are
looking for novel input to their field. No touch event can happen
without a prior pretouch event and therefore Proximity Perception is a
natural complement for Tactile Perception. In fact, recently, many
multi-modal sensors for robotic skins including these modalities have
been proposed. These sensors are now beginning to impact the research on
Human Robot Interaction (HRI), Haptic Object Recognition, Haptic
Exploration, etc. Together with the demo session we are organizing a
poster session to present results from the different research groups
around the world. Please follow this link for the Call for Papers:

www.proxelsandtaxels.org/en/demo-and-poster-session/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org_en_demo-2Dand-2Dposter-2Dsession_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=DNGA-ihMgRflEIn3QR0sL-IeXls5OqZXeB9kpkkkRhE&s=O_RUdTW7RYnzug9OEMtL8jdy5X0mYHA70hAKQvWgbyU&e=>

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org_en_demo-2Dand-2Dposter-2Dsession_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=DNGA-ihMgRflEIn3QR0sL-IeXls5OqZXeB9kpkkkRhE&s=O_RUdTW7RYnzug9OEMtL8jdy5X0mYHA70hAKQvWgbyU&e=>

For the full program featuring the confirmed talks and demos as well as
additional information please visit our updated website:
www.proxelsandtaxels.org <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=DNGA-ihMgRflEIn3QR0sL-IeXls5OqZXeB9kpkkkRhE&s=p76U40XOSTB7AiKHLQDaWc6sg074ZNsJ40HFtD9blB0&e=>

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to drop us an email. We
look forward to meet you at our workshop! Best wishes, Stefan (for the
organizing team)

--
Stefan Escaida Navarro (PostDoc)
INRIA Lille-Nord Europe