[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nCfP: ICRA 2018 Workshop on long-term autonomy and deployment of intelligent robots in the real-world

Feras Dayoub feras.dayoub at qut.edu.au
Sun Mar 4 12:48:16 PST 2018

ICRA 2018 Workshop - 2nd Call for Papers

Title: Long-term autonomy and deployment of intelligent robots in the real-world
Full day - May 25, Brisbane, Australia.
Website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_icra2018ltaws_home&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=UA4gwQnDhYtRnZA2GDHcVx_Dyd7Fi0xf75VlkpBf8z4&s=AGWBjC63-13EmOIQ7O3jcfLa6hjWxO5IJwlo8FDI_ug&e=
Important dates

March 19th: Submission deadline
April 19th: Notification of acceptance
April 22nd: Camera ready paper
May 21st or 25th: Workshop (full-day)

Format:
========
Authors are required to submit a 2-pages extended abstract or 4-pages short paper or 6-pages full paper as PDF in the standard ICRA conference format.

Submissions:
========
Submissions will be judged based on relevance to the workshop topics, technical quality, and novelty. Authors of accepted papers are expected to give a lightning talk (2-3 minutes) and to present a poster at the workshop. A number of full papers will be selected for longer 10-15 oral presentation. The authors of the best full paper will be awarded 0.01 BTC.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Dicra18ltaw&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=UA4gwQnDhYtRnZA2GDHcVx_Dyd7Fi0xf75VlkpBf8z4&s=GXTjqY_AXRA3ifuKK5j7TVEoy2YaYfuRt7R7r_9rTws&e=

Overview & Topics
========
>From driverless cars to autonomous harvesters to service robots,  mobile robots are leaving the factories and entering less structured, more complex and dynamic environments. The key competence of these robots is the ability of reliable operation for long periods of time under changing and unpredictable environmental conditions.  These robots need to be persistent and demonstrate a high level of robustness as well as fault tolerance and recovery, and above all of that, they have to be able to adapt over time to the changes in their operational environment. To test these competencies, we have to go far beyond running proof-of-concept experiments in controlled environments for a limited period of time. This fact makes the research and development of such robots difficult and tedious and also makes any experience with long-term deployment of autonomous systems a valuable knowledge. This workshop aims at capturing this knowledge by inviting a number of renowned experts in the field who will highlight the main challenges these robots face and talk about their own experiences and the lessons they learned during long-term deployments of their robots.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited  to:
• Spatial representations for long-term mapping and localization.
• Reasoning about environmental appearance and structural change.
• Long-term mission planning and exploration.
• Lifelong learning and adaptation.
• Context-dependent decision making.
• Verification of long-term autonomous systems,
• Robust recovery behaviors.

Invited Speakers
========
- Cyrill Stachniss, University of Bonn.
- Carl Wellington,  Uber Advanced Technologies Group.
- Joydeep Biswas, UMass Amherst.
- Jonathan Kelly, University of Toronto.
- John Leonard, MIT.
- Marc Hanheide, University of Lincoln, UK.
- Paul Newman, University of Oxford.
- Torsten Sattler, ETH.

The tentative schedule can be found here:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_icra2018ltaws_program&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=UA4gwQnDhYtRnZA2GDHcVx_Dyd7Fi0xf75VlkpBf8z4&s=laRY1_uD3lg-4u78gK9-cnqsB4ZBzB74d06ithz9o54&e=

Organizers
========

- Feras Dayoub, Australian Centre for Robotic Vision, Queensland University of Technology, AU.
- Tomas Krajnik, Czech Technical University in Prague.
- Lars Kunze, Oxford Robotics Institute, Oxford, UK.
- Niko Suenderhauf, Australian Centre for Robotic Vision, Queensland University of Technology, AU.
- Manuela Veloso, Carnegie Mellon University, USA.

For more information and for submissions please contact  feras.dayoub at qut.edu.au

This full-day workshop is supported by the IEEE Technical Committee  on Autonomous Ground Vehicles and Intelligent Transportation Systems, (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ieee-2Dras.org_autonomous-2Dground-2Dvehicles-2Dand-2Dintelligent-2Dtransportation-2Dsystems&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=UA4gwQnDhYtRnZA2GDHcVx_Dyd7Fi0xf75VlkpBf8z4&s=ZQ05OMwyS9_gf3PE_5C10YdQ76f7RiFxa9qlVMOO3bE&e=)

Dr Feras Dayoub
Research Fellow | Australian Center for Robotic Vision
Science and Engineering Faculty | Queensland University of Technology
S Block 11 | 2 George Street | Brisbane, QLD 4000
email: feras.dayoub at qut.edu.au | phone: 3138 9972