[robotics-worldwide] [journals] Deadline extended to April 20, 2018, RAS special issue: Semantic Policy and Action Representations for Autonomous Robots (SPAR)

Karinne Ramirez Amaro karinne.ramirez at tum.de
Tue Mar 27 06:06:45 PDT 2018

**** Robotics and Autonomous Systems
              Special Issue on
Semantic Policy and Action Representations for Autonomous Robots***
----Call for Papers---

It is our pleasure to announce the Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS)
special issue on Semantic Policy and Action Representations for
Autonomous Robots (SPAR). This special issue is a follow-up outcome of
two successful IROS workshops held in 2015 and 2017. We would like to
invite all interested researchers to submit their papers in the areas of
reasoning, perception, control, planning, and learning applied to
robotic systems.

***RAS-SPAR Special issue URL***
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.journals.elsevier.com_robotics-2Dand-2Dautonomous-2Dsystems_call-2Dfor-2Dpapers_special-2Dissue-2Don-2Dsemantic-2Dpolicy-2Dand-2Daction-2Drepresentations&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=mJfV_oraZyFHhUEmtA58s-lYrKOGWK9_H5QDFWDK130&e=

More information:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ics.ei.tum.de_workshop-2Diros-2Dspar17_ras-2Dspecial-2Dissue&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=UQj4T99jbeTDbZerN40856QuVGURIa6oebiCQndkm5U&e=

Contact email:  spar.workshop at gmail.com

*** Important Dates ***:
Paper submission deadline (EXTENDED): 20th April 2018
Notification of acceptance: 15th June 2018
Final Submission:  3rd August 2018
Publication date: September 2018

*** Special issue objectives ***

Service and industrial robots are expected to be more autonomous and
work effectively around/ alongside humans. This implies that robots
should have special capabilities, such as interpreting and understanding
human intentions in different domains. The major challenge is to find
appropriate mechanisms to explain the observed raw sensor signals such
as poses, velocities, distances, forces, etc., in a way that robots are
able to make informative and high-level descriptive models out of that.
These models will, for instance, permit the understanding of, what is
the meaning of the observations/demonstrations, infer how they could
generate/produce a similar behavior in other conditions/domains?, and
more importantly, allow robots to communicate with the user/operator
about why they infer that behavior. One promising way to achieve that is
using high-level semantic representations. Several methods have been
proposed, for example, linguistic approaches, syntactic approaches,
graphical models, etc.

This special issue is focused on highlighting the recent developments in
semantic reasoning representations and semantic policy generation from
low level (sensory signal) to high level (planning and execution). More
importantly, this special issue will gather information about various
bottom-up and top-down approaches for semantic action perception and
executions in different domains. Furthermore, we are aiming to compare
various state-of-the-art approaches for generic action and reasoning
representations in both computer vision and robotic communities, looking
for a common ground to combine assumable different approaches for
autonomous capability and reliability. Overall, this special issue aims
to present the main benefits of this new emerging type of methods such
as allowing robots to learn generalized semantic models for different
domains as well as the next breakthrough topics in this area, e.g. the
scalability of the learned models that can adapt to new
scenarios/domains in a way that the robot can transfer all the acquired
knowledge and experience from existing data to new domains with very
little human intervention.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
  *AI-Based Methods
     --Learning and adaptive systems & Probability and statistical methods
     --Action grammars/libraries  & Spatiotemporal event encoding
     --Machine learning techniques for semantic representations
  *Reasoning Methods in Robotics and Automation
    --Signal to symbol transition (Symbol grounding) & Different levels
of abstraction
    --Semantics of manipulation actions & Semantic policy representation
    --Context modeling methods
  *Human Behavior Recognition
    --Learning from demonstration & Object-action relations
    --Bottom-up and top-down perception
  *Task, Geometric, and Dynamic Level Plans and Policies
    --PDDL high-level planning & Task and motion planning methods
  *Human-Robot interaction
    --Prediction of human intentions & Linking linguistic and visual data

*** Guest editors ***

Karinne Ramirez-Amaro, Technical University of Munich,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ics.ei.tum.de_people_ramirez&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=rPvXTOP74IKiMLCvZhI-fv0FiA3Lwkybfp2YxxUPEQw&e=
Yezhou Yang, Arizona State University, USA,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__yezhouyang.engineering.asu.edu&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=Eod150RUAxlfgz3Lgk0awLzqp-IFNYBX_vw4DPdTcKI&e=
Neil T. Dantam, Colorado School of Mines, USA, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.neil.dantam.name_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=hbyWpHMUNeKT1IERaAoFC1pCkXpPmGqbLcoXJPZMHGE&e=
Eren Erdal Aksoy, Halmstad University, Sweden,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__islab.hh.se_mediawiki_Eren-5FErdal-5FAksoy&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=R1YanoY9zFC8llqwKn_SQOmmLg2acwQvld7N15ub-VY&e=
Gordon Cheng, Technical University of Munich,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ics.ei.tum.de_en_people_cheng&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=8YP9i88tHQCJHne-MyhSF1otuY9Uo3X1JUgvt5v5awA&e=

--
Dr.-Ing. Karinne Ramirez Amaro
Institute for Cognitive Systems

Address: Karlstr. 45, 2.OG. 80333 Munich, Germany
Room: 2015
Web page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__web.ics.ei.tum.de_-7Ekarinne_Ramirez_index.html&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vW4N4XkRt7xX7-I9uBqBiLdWJRBTyKiU4gjPBaCnFLg&s=1Wjw0icebfd0PFmecBKaEvdLgQQbBgjx3-VCM73Eih8&e=
email: karinne.ramirez at tum.de
Telephone: +49-89-289-26799