[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] POSTDOCTORAL Position in the area of Brain-Computer Interfaces
Urbano J. Nunes
urbano at deec.uc.pt
Wed Nov 7 02:30:58 PST 2018
*CALL FOR A POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER in the area of Brain-computer interfaces*
Application deadline: November 23, 2018
Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica (ISR) - Coimbra opens a call to hire a Postdoctoral Researcher corresponding to the initial level according to the Applicable Regulation, under an Unfixed-term contract under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr. 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) - Programa Operacional Regional do Centro and National Funds (FCT) under the research project nº. 030935 “Boosting reliability and interaction on brain-machine interface systems integrating automatic error-detection” (B-RELIABLE).
• Decree-Law nr 57/2016, from 29th August, altered by Law nr 57/2017, from 19th July, that approves a Doctoral Hiring regime to stimulate Scientific and Technological Employment in all knowledge areas (RJEC).
• Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12thFebruary in its current writing.
• Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
1. Goals and research topics to develop: This project aims to investigate and develop new methods, theoretical and computational models and respective experimental validation, in brain-computer / brain-machine interfaces (ICC / ICM) based on electroencephalography (EEG), aiming at:
• Increased reliability of ICCs / ICMs for people with severe motor disabilities;
• The creation of new and more natural forms of human-machine interaction and new paradigms of intervention and learning with neurofeedback, based on the automatic detection of error (originated by the human or the system);
Particular focus will be given to the research of an EEG signal called "Error Related Potential" (ErrP), which occurs naturally in the brain as a response to errors, and its application in communication and mobility assistance systems for people with motor impairment, in advanced driver assistance systems for the general population, and in neuro-rehabilitation systems for children with neurodevelopmental disorders. The project is the result of a consortium between the Institute of Systems and Robotics of Coimbra (Proponent), the University of Coimbra - ICNAS (participating entity) and the Polytechnic Institute of Tomar - VITA (participating entity). The work will be carried out in a team composed of project researchers, research fellows, and PhD and Master students.
2. Members of the Jury: According to article nr 13 from RJEC, the jury is composed by Gabriel Pires (President of the jury and Responsible for the Project), Urbano J. Nunes (Co-Responsible for the Project) and Miguel Castelo-Branco (all PhD’s).
3. Start Date and workplace: The contract is expected to start in December 2018. The activities will be developed at ISR-Coimbra facilities (Pole II) and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
4. Monthly remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
5. Profile of Candidate: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements can apply:
• PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Biomedical Engineering, or Computer Engineering, or closely related area;
• Proven experience in signal processing and classification of electroencephalographic signals and in the development of brain-computer interfaces;
• Good programming skills in Matlab and at least in one of the following languages: Python, C / C++, C#;
• Experience in participating in scientific research projects and in the supervision of non-graduate students and/or research fellows;
• Proficiency in spoken and written English;
IMPORTANT NOTE: In the event the PhD degree was awarded by a foreigner higher institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr 341/2007, 12th October, and all formalities established there must be fulfilled by applications deadline
6. Application process: The call is open from 12th October until 23rd November 2018 (30 working days), and the application documents (indicated below) should be sent, in PDF format, to the emailsgpires at isr.uc.pt andlara at isr.uc.pt, indicating the Reference of the position RELIABLE/CT-POSDOC/2018 (mandatory):
a) Motivation Letter in English, including this announcement identification, full name, parents’ names, ID card, or Citizen Card number and date, or civil identification number, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including email address and telephone;
b) Detailed CV in English;
c) PhD Certificate;
d) ORCID and Scopus identifiers;
e) Contact of 2 references.
Note: The non-compliance with these requirements determines the immediate rejection of application.
6.1 False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
6.2 ISR-Coimbra promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sex-ual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, politi-cal or ideological convictions and union membership.
6.3 Pursuant to Decree-Law nr 29/2001 of 3rd February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
7. Evaluation criteria: The admitted applications will be evaluated taking into account the quality, timeliness and relevance of the scientific track record (scientific production and research experience) and curriculum of each candidate and their adequacy to the proposed work plan.
First phase: Curriculum Analysis (90%), and Motivation Letter (10%).
Second phase: The jury will select for the interview (evaluation: 10%) those candidates who have obtained a score equal or higher than 80% of the maximum score of the first phase. If there are no applications of candidates whose classification score, at the end of the two phases, is not at least 80%, the jury has the right of not selecting any of the candidates. In the event of a tie, the decision will be responsibility of the president of the jury.
In the interview, the candidate should present his/her CV, from which the jury shall stimulate an open debate on its content
In the case of foreign candidates residing outside Portugal, the interview will be con-ducted by videoconference.
7.1 After evaluation of all admitted applications, the jury will write a meeting mi-nute with all process of recruitment, evaluation and selection including an or-dered short list of approved candidates and their respective classification and final decision of the jury.
7.2 The final decision of the jury shall be validated by the Head of the Institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
8. Results: Both admitted and excluded candidates list and final classification list shall be posted at ISR facilities (Pinhal de Marrocos, Polo II, Coimbra) and all candidates will be notified by email.
9. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: Pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.
-- Prof. Urbano J. Nunes
ISR - Institute of Systems and Robotics and
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering • University of Coimbra
Universidade de Coimbra - Pólo 2 | P 3030-290 Coimbra • PORTUGAL
More information about the robotics-worldwide