[robotics-worldwide] [jobs]Researcher positions in FingerVision project at Tohoku University

Akihiko Yamaguchi xakiyam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 01:39:02 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

This is a preliminary announcement of opening multiple researcher
positions in the FingerVision project at Tohoku University in Japan.
The formal job opening will be announced within a few weeks.  If you
are interested in it, please contact us ASAP!
The project is related to the vision-based tactile sensor FingerVision
and its application to robotic manipulation (especially in industry)
led by Prof Akihiko Yamaguchi.

The expected candidate should have a strong background in one or more
areas described below:
- Soft robotics & sensor fabrication
- Mechanical design (e.g. robotic grippers)
- Computer vision
- Robotic manipulation (especially deformable object manipulation)
- Industrial robot system integration
- Robot learning (machine learning for robots)

Timeline:
- The successful candidate is expected to join us as soon as possible
after the acceptance decision.  We try to make the acceptance decision
shortly after the formal announcement of this hiring.
- Opening will end at the end of March, 2019, or when enough people are hired.

Plan:
The successful candidate will:
- Join us as a researcher position (postdoctoral fellow or project
assistant professor).
- Work on research and development of FingerVision-related project,
especially for productization.
The researcher position will continue for approximately 1.5 to 2 years
(*1).  After that, we plan to offer a leading researcher position at
our venture company (*2).

(*1) There is an intermediate review of the project on Oct 2019 where
the continuation (or termination) of the project is decided.
(*2) This is a tentative plan.  We do not guarantee the leading
researcher position at the venture company.  The venture company has
not been established yet.

Requirements:
- PhD or equivalent degrees.
- Fundamental skills to perform research and development in above
area(s) are necessary, such as advanced programming skills (C++,
Python), ROS (robot operating system), and fabritation skills with 3D
printing and soft materials.
- English skill is mandatory.  Japanese skill is not mandatory, but
everyday conversation skill is useful to live in Japan.

About FingerVision:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__akihikoy.net_p_fv&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=KaTWhOtrq4N8HpTh0Qfq1kfpj7qOLB5qTC3yA0gfYCU&s=X8xYsGI9bQvtjDt5yZ1NppZwz-Rkhr3l41dHvv6qX7s&e=

Tohoku University:
Located in Sendai-city, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.tohoku.ac.jp_en_&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=KaTWhOtrq4N8HpTh0Qfq1kfpj7qOLB5qTC3yA0gfYCU&s=1Sg0uxTQ8I0Db3IagzJfi70myS5Yb0dHqb5wMVvRUaI&e=

Contact:
Akihiko Yamaguchi
e-mail:    info+fvhiring at akihikoy.net

The above information is also written in: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__akihikoy.net_p_fvhiring18&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=KaTWhOtrq4N8HpTh0Qfq1kfpj7qOLB5qTC3yA0gfYCU&s=EkbhUZ2yLkL1DB61ZQVnLyMXoraQpd75lqoeMIFMrz4&e=
The formal version will be added to this webpage.

Very best,
-- Akihiko Yamaguchi
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__akihikoy.net&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=KaTWhOtrq4N8HpTh0Qfq1kfpj7qOLB5qTC3yA0gfYCU&s=0qBUFJecRxBqMMsN4q_iSkB4iE6f9vC7BS3OQ3X9I88&e=