[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Open PhD and Postdoc positions at the Uni. of Zurich in Robotics, Machine learning, Reinforcement Learning, Control, Computer Vision , Event Cameras and beyond

Davide Scaramuzza scaramuzza.davide at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:46:28 PST 2018

Several openings at both PhD and Postdoctoral levels in Robotics,
Machine learning, Reinforcement Learning, Control, Computer Vision,
Event Cameras, and beyond are available in professor Davide Scaramuzza's
lab.

Info and how to apply: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_positions.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=CTV4RrOrleouijsP0wd2_NY8OK5nKrDbAr3Yeh8nHpA&e=

----------------------------
Mission of the lab
----------------------------
The mission of our lab is to develop novel perception, control, and
learning algorithms that will allow one day mobile robots to navigate
autonomously in dynamic environments using onboard vision sensors. To
achieve this goal we investigate how machine learning, novel sensors
(such as event-based cameras), and coupled perception and control can be
used to advance the state of the art of mobile robots. Most of our
research is carried out on drones rather on ground robots due to their
inherent instability, increased speed and agility, and ability to
navigate in 3D. We are looking for motivated researchers to help make
this vision a reality!

----------------------------
Job Description
----------------------------
**************************
Job1: PhD student and Postdoc in Vision-based Navigation
**************************
You will work on novel vision-based control and/or planning algorithms
that combine model-based and machine learning methods (both deep
learning and/or (Inverse) Reinforcement Learning) to accomplish robust
navigation tasks in dynamic and harsh environments. The robot to be
controlled can have both a rigid or an articulated shape, which can be
changed on the fly depending on the task (video:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DwmwxqLHUZC0&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=Xj5-mzrQg0GjkpdyI_2ZIlJnjS4Y3TizgbVIFUcjPSA&e=). More on our research on
combination of model-based and deep learning methods (papers and videos)
can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research-5Fmav.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=f-DPS3n1koO2-ZKz-yC2rX2VivgBtv3QOe2jL1lZI-U&e=
More on our research on control for micro drones (papers and videos) can
be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research-5Flearning.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=uFxqwnrFFDVu_IATfpoDVdFaEw92dvubmjp6s9-KMpE&e= and here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_aggressive-5Fflight.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=c3xwUYJtXNVwkYpg0oiZLqWzCkEaQQTlLrtJIuHkt2A&e=

**************************
Job2: PhD student and Postdoc in Computer Vision
**************************
You will work on novel vision-based algorithms that combine classical
geometric approaches with deep learning to accomplish robust scene
understanding or Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) using
traditional cameras in combination with novel sensors, such as the event
cameras or SCAMP). More on our research on event cameras (papers and
videos) can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research-5Fdvs.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=J2KOBu3qbHUNQvJH11PdykxSWmtWhoZ3MionbN5Zoo4&e=
Our research on visual inertial odometry with standard cameras can be
found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research-5Fvo.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=7opM6AyXth8CYDXddrMpoPrsIR4ZsOUiOR1OInkSX_g&e=

An up-to-date list of our current research projects is here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=1tBz-E4ZSofVXGgdnGR0rBfdzQd-aFPtGvum3t1Um8g&e=
For videos, please check out our YouTube channel. For media coverage of
our research, please check out our media page.

----------------------------
Benefits
----------------------------
The position is fully funded. PhD student and Postdoc positions in
Switzerland are regular jobs with social benefits (e.g., a pension
plan!). You will get a very competitive salary and access to excellent
research facilities (motion capture, 3D printing, large flying arenas
(indoors and outdoors), and electronic and machine workshops.
Additionally, we have a very enjoyable work atmosphere and organize many
social events, such as ski trips, hikes, lab dinners, and lab retreats.
Zurich has been regularly ranked among the top 1-2 cities in the world
for quality of life (link). Over the past 10 years Swiss robotics
research has developed so much that Switzerland was recently chosen by
Forbes as the Silicon Valley of robotics:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.forbes.com_sites_andrewcave_2017_09_26_how-2Dswitzerland-2Dbecame-2Dthe-2Dsilicon-2Dvalley-2Dof-2Drobotics_-233bd81245200d&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=6gy327PV3Vww2FOmI2cZoJFJUUiS8LLEkK9YHhS3yyI&e=

----------------------------
Who we are
----------------------------
Our research lab, called the Robotics and Perception Group, belongs to
two departments: the Dept. of Neuroinformatics of the University of
Zurich and ETH Zurich and the Dept. of Informatics of the University of
Zurich. The lab was founded in 2012 and has since made world-class
contributions in visual SLAM, event-based vision, and vision-based
navigation of quadrotors, for which it has received many prestigious
awards and research grants (Google, Intel, Qualcomm, Huawei, Nikon,
KUKA). The research carried out in our lab has also received extensive
media coverage in popular press (Discovery Channel, BBC, Washington
Post, etc.).

----------------------------
Your Skills
----------------------------
A passion for computer vision, robotics, mathematics, programming and
abstract thinking
Excellent written and spoken English skills

- For PhD candidates:
a Master degree in computer engineering, computer science, mechanical
engineering, robotics, physics, or related fields

- For the Postdoc in Vision-based Navigation
A PhD degree in computer engineering, computer science, robotics, or
related fields
Excellent track record (publications in high-impact-factor conferences
and journals)
Proven theoretical and practical experience in one of the following:
solving large-scale reinforcement-learning, machine learning, and/or
recommender system problems.
Ability to develop and implement complex algorithms efficiently

- for the Postdoc in Computer Vision
A PhD degree in computer engineering, computer science, robotics, or
related fields
Excellent track record (publications in high-impact-factor conferences
and journals)
Proven theoretical and practical experience in solving large-scale
computer vision and/or machine learning problems.
Experience in complex systems' analysis, including multi-objective
optimization and the quantification of uncertainty as it propagates
through a complex system.
Experience working independently in a shared machine learning
implementation setting

Recommended: Strong experience with C++, Python, Deep Learning
frameworks, GPU optimization skills. Familiarity with tools such as ROS,
TensorFlow, OpenCV, and Git is desirable.

----------------------------
Starting Date
----------------------------
Starting date: Between 1st of January and 1st of April 2019. The
evaluation of the received applications starts on December 1 and will
continue until the position is filled. Check the website for updates.

How to apply: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_positions.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=CTV4RrOrleouijsP0wd2_NY8OK5nKrDbAr3Yeh8nHpA&e=

You will be requested to upload single PDF including (in the order):

1. Letter of motivation (max half page). Please specify your strong
experience in the fields related to the openings (including the skills
recommended above if matching). Postdocs applicants, please show
evidence with publications in strong venues.
2. Your CV (please include: your nationality for visa requirements, date
of birth, your English level, scientific publications if any,
programming skills, hobbies). Postdoc applicants: please include the
publication list and reprints of your 3 major publications;
3. List of at least 3 referees (support-letter writers). Support letters
will be requested only if your application is considered. So you don't
need to upload them now.
.
Please include your homepage and link to videos and code if available.

Best regards

Davide Scaramuzza

--

Prof. Dr. Davide Scaramuzza
Director of the Robotics and Perception Group:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_people-5Fscaramuzza.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=mUbqsopSq5DcKDcau8NVa2dvDojiHirIFxmu0KkSPd0&e=
Inst. of Informatics, University of Zurich,
Inst. of Neuroinformatics, University of Zurich and ETH Zurich
Andreasstrasse 15, AND 2.10, Zurich, Switzerland
Office: +41 44 635 24 09
YouTube Channel: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_ailabRPG_videos&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=2QpZ4LcR5Ia0BVDwO_MDpF5iwI-d8JHeblOmjpE731o&s=RRRWgZFY0fvcE29h4q7WgZlncJ0Tq0UJWJXz1PFqMOE&e=