[robotics-worldwide] [jobs]Research Job Positions of FingerVision Project at Tohoku University in Japan

Akihiko Yamaguchi info at akihikoy.net
Wed Nov 21 20:18:25 PST 2018

This is an announcement of opening multiple researcher positions in
the FingerVision project at Tohoku University in Japan.

[Background and Purpose]
The FingerVision project at Tohoku University aims to develop the
vision-based tactile sensor FingerVision and its application to
robotic manipulation, led by Akihiko Yamaguchi. Our long-term goal is
making tactile sensing more popular in much robots, and improving the
manipulation capability of robots. At this moment, we offer researcher
positions for a short-term goal; research and development of
industrial applications and commercialization of FingerVision.

[Job Content]
You will be engaged in FingerVision-related projects especially aiming
for industrial applications and commercialization. Concretely,
research and development of improving FingerVision and its
applications. We are looking for multiple researchers in two
directions: developing sensors and hardware, and implementing tactile
behaviors including FingerVision data processing (computer vision).
Experts in each direction, and researchers who are capable of working
in the both directions are considered as strong candidates.

[Working Place]
Aobayama Campus of Tohoku University, Aoba-ku, Sendai-city, Miyagi
prefecture, Japan

[Job Types]
1. Postdoctoral Fellow
2. Project Assistant Professor
The selection of above two types depends on your ability, experience,
and career.
The job contract is renewed per fiscal year.

[Research Fields]
The expected candidate should have a strong background in one or more
areas described below:
- Soft robotics & sensor fabrication
- Mechanical design (e.g. robotic grippers)
- Computer vision
- Robotic manipulation (especially deformable object manipulation)
- Industrial robot system integration
- Robot learning (machine learning for robots)

[Requirements]
- PhD or equivalent degrees.
- Fundamental skills to perform research and development in above
area(s) are necessary, such as advanced programming skills (C++,
Python), ROS (robot operating system), and fabrication skills with 3D
printing and soft materials.
- English skill is mandatory. Japanese skill is not mandatory, but
everyday conversation skill is useful to live in Japan.

[Salary]
Postdoctoral Fellow & Project Assistant Professor: Depends on the
salary policy of Tohoku University.
Note that you will be paid more than the standard of Tohoku University
since we are looking for strong candidates in those areas.

[When to Start Working?]
December 1, 2018, or later (negotiable, but starting earlier is better)

[Employment Period]
December 1, 2018 to March 31, 2020 (which will be extended to March
31, 2021 if we pass the intermediate review of the project).
After the project, we plan to offer a leading researcher position at
our startup company (*).
(*) This is a tentative plan. We do not guarantee the leading
researcher position at the startup. The startup has not been
established yet.

[How to Apply]
Sending CV, summary of past research and development and some
attachments, and a write-up on motivation to apply and expected
contributions via email.
The selection will be made according to the documents, and interviews
(at Tohoku University, or via Skype).
For the details, please visit: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__akihikoy.net_p_fvhiring18&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=qqNVRdrP5eNr6EGZqEMaGgAuSxgBJhTFd0OvophhwYo&s=WfaD51A072kt255QJg4UA2_mzSChtC5P2z5FK1M8JXI&e=

[Contact Information]
Akihiko Yamaguchi
Leader of FingerVision Project
Assistant Professor at Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku
University
email (hiring): info+fvhiring at akihikoy.net

[Details]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__akihikoy.net_p_fvhiring18&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=qqNVRdrP5eNr6EGZqEMaGgAuSxgBJhTFd0OvophhwYo&s=WfaD51A072kt255QJg4UA2_mzSChtC5P2z5FK1M8JXI&e=

Sincerely,
-- Akihiko Yamaguchi