[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Research Engineer Position in Haptics

Matteo Bianchi matteo.bianchi at centropiaggio.unipi.it
Fri Nov 23 08:58:14 PST 2018

*Faculty Assistant/Research Engineer *Department of Neuromotor Physiology
Santa Lucia Foundation, IRCCS
Rome, Italy
*Application review will begin immediately (November 2018).*

*Job Description*
We are looking for a highly motivated, intellectually curious and
passionate engineer for a full-time position at the Department of
Neuromotor Physiology at the Hospital Santa Lucia Foundation. This is a
shared position between the Santa Lucia Foundation and Centro Piaggio at
the University of Pisa to work on a research project founded by, and in
collaboration with, Oculus Research (Facebook). The engineer will be
responsible for the design (mechatronic design and control) of a novel
haptic device in collaboration with the University of Pisa. The system will
be designed to study perception of tactile motion in humans. The resource
will be involved in the different phases of the project, including the
design of the  system and the experiments, the preparation of the
experimental setup, data collection. Application review will begin
immediately. This is a 1-year position with the possibility of renewal,
contingent on performance and funding.

To apply please email your application to *Dr. Alessandro Moscatelli* (
a.moscatelli at hsantalucia.it). Application materials should include a cover
letter detailing qualifications and interest, CV, relevant coursework or
transcript, and at least 2 references who can provide letters upon request.

*Desired Skills*
The ideal applicant will have a Master’s degree in Engineering,
preferentially mechanical engineering/electrical engineering/robotics and
automation. The candidate should have a good background in mechatronics,
mechanical design and system control. Computer programming experience (C,
C++, Python, Matlab, R, Unity 3D or Unreal Engine) and knowledge/experience
of/in computer assisted design programs (e.g. Creo, Solidworks).
Familiarity with haptic devices and human experiments represent a plus.

*About the employer*
In our laboratory, we combine behavioral experiments and theoretical models
to study the sensorimotor system in humans. In particular, we are
interested in studying the combination of multiple cues for motion encoding
in touch, and the role of the somatosensory feedback from the control of
hand movement. Within this project, we will develop novel devices for
providing tactile and visual stimuli, and recording contact force and hand
displacement.

*Areas of Research*

   - Haptics
   - Mechatronics
   - Neuroscience
   - Robotics

--
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Matteo Bianchi, PhD

Assistant Professor

Research Center "E.Piaggio"
Department of Information Engineering
School of Engineering - University of Pisa
Largo Lucio Lazzarino 1, 56126 Pisa, Italy

Email: matteo.bianchi@ <matteo.bianchi at centropiaggio.unipi.it>
centropiaggio.unipi.it
Web:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.piaggio.ing.unipi.it_-7Ebianchi&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=lfFMq6E9ZJxl3zG6qwj3RZy3M1_eauXygodMlWdgEC8&s=erIPTdVLJTNhjLQjxv3ZpuU65bqxixKGfmdXAv6WVJw&e=