[robotics-worldwide] [software] Lightweight Visual Tracking (LVT): source code and paper published

Samir Rawashdeh srawa at umich.edu
Sun Nov 25 20:47:10 PST 2018

We have recently published the source code of our visual odometry
algorithm, which supports stereo and RGB-D camera systems. It is compatible
with ROS (Robot Operating System). Our journal publication on this
algorithm was recently accepted and is available at Sensors. This is the
paper’s abstract:

Lightweight Visual Odometry for Autonomous Mobile Robots

Vision-based motion estimation is an effective means for mobile robot
localization and is often used in conjunction with other sensors for
navigation and path planning. This paper presents a low-overhead real-time
ego-motion estimation (visual odometry) system based on either a stereo or
RGB-D sensor. The algorithm’s accuracy outperforms typical frame-to-frame
approaches by maintaining a limited local map, while requiring
significantly less memory and computational power in contrast to using
global maps common in full visual SLAM methods. The algorithm is evaluated
on common publicly available datasets that span different use-cases and
performance is compared to other comparable open-source systems in terms of
accuracy, frame rate and memory requirements. This paper accompanies the
release of the source code as a modular software package for the robotics
community compatible with the Robot Operating System (ROS).

The following blog post includes links to the github repository for the LVT
algorithm, the paper, and includes a video demonstration:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sar-2Dlab.net_2018_09_27_lightweight-2Dvisual-2Dtracking-2Dlvt-2Dsource-2Dcode-2Dand-2Dpaper-2Dpublished_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=cGLsxYT_DdbDdPkdrn2jZrVU1qoz7_wEwIp4gjs3jK0&s=GlCuFAy9oLFSFHpY40vSjsTTrWNxodqP9BexBgAyhlk&e=

Regards,
--
Samir Rawashdeh, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor