[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Fully funded MS/PhD student positions in Bio-inspired Robotics, Neural Engineering, Computer Vision, and Data Science at IST, VISTEC, Thailand

Poramate Manoonpong poramate.m at vistec.ac.th
Sun Dec 8 01:14:48 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The School of Information Science and Technology (IST) at Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC), Thailand, welcomes all applicants for our International Master’s and Doctoral degree program.

Our school offers a competitive, English language, interdisciplinary, world-class PhD training and research program in Information Science and Technology. We have 20 fully-funded Master and PhD student positions.

Our program includes 5-years MS+PhD and 3-years PhD options. The students will be formally affiliated with the MSPhD/PhD program at IST, VISTEC, Thailand. They will have the opportunity to develop new algorithms and research ideas and perform experiments on real hardware, e.g., Advanced bio-inspired robotic systems, Drone technology, the Internet-of-Robotic-Things (IoRT), Human-machine interaction (e.g., Exoskeleton), Brain-computer interface systems, Computer vision, Computer graphics, Deep learning, Large-scale Scientific databases & Distributed systems.

Our basic research under the IST umbrella focuses on main areas: Data Science, Cloud/HPC, IoRT, Bio-inspired Robotics, Neural Engineering, and Computer vision.

Bio-inspired robotics: We address how to develop brain-like mechanisms for adaptive motor control and autonomous learning of embodied multi-sensorimotor robotic systems (i.e., bio-inspired robots, hybrid soft robots, exoskeleton). We also transfer the developed mechanisms (BRAIN technology) to application areas like human-machine interaction, brain-machine interface, and rehabilitation (see www.brain.vistec.ac.th<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.brain.vistec.ac.th_&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=w8N4H9TApMoLV1Q0uViID0D4XS1n8qAAU0oU8nQ6GVk&s=WmxA7cvR0pznpMc3GCfiwvLeu0rsgiUbBsZKRj5vMLM&e= > for more details).

Neural Engineering: We address an investigation of closed-loop EEG-based Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) that helps bridge the gap in communication between man and machine. Understanding patterns of brain activity from basic neuroscience research will help engineering to optimize the BCI system that could be applied in the real-world environment. Advanced signal processing techniques and pattern recognition methods such as machine learning, artificial neural network, and deep learning can improve the efficiency of BCI by increasing information transfer rate and accuracy. Ultimately, research-based on BCI could lead to the development of novel tools used in both clinical and healthy populations (see www.brain.vistec.ac.th<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.brain.vistec.ac.th_&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=w8N4H9TApMoLV1Q0uViID0D4XS1n8qAAU0oU8nQ6GVk&s=WmxA7cvR0pznpMc3GCfiwvLeu0rsgiUbBsZKRj5vMLM&e= > for more details).

Computer Vision and Learning: Our research interests are at the intersection of computer vision, deep learning, and computer graphics. His past work includes 3D face reconstruction from internet photos and realistic video speech synthesis. His goal is to bring computer vision out of the lab and into the real world.

Data Science and Engineering (Large-Scale Analytics, Data Engineering, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning): We address various scalability issues in machine learning, data mining, database query processing. We are especially interested in developing solutions for machine learning problems with an extremely large number of classes and a scalable system for managing and storing various forms of high-dimensional data. Our application domains include (but not limited to) natural language processing, time-series data management, geospatial data mining, business intelligence, IoT data analytics, and health data analytics.

Financial Support:

This studentship includes

1) fee bursary to cover the tuition fee rate

2) a maintenance allowance during the study,

3) grant of 1 Million Bath scholarship for international research experience.

Person Specification:

The successful applicant from any nationality will have a strong undergraduate (first class or upper second class) and/or Master’s degree in

• Science (Physics, Mathematics,

Computer and related fields)

• Engineering (Robotics, Computer, Mechanical,

Electrical and related fields)

• Applied Science (Information

Technology, ICT and related fields)

Applicants with excellent programming and analytical/mathematical skills as well as expertise and research interests in the intersection of Data Science, Bio-inspired Robotics, Neural Engineering, and Computer Vision are particularly welcome to apply. Applicants from non-English speaking countries will need to satisfy English language entry requirements.

Application Documents:

1. CV

2. Official Transcripts

3. Statement of Purpose/ Statement of research interest

Optional:

4. Letters of recommendation

5. English test score (TOEFL, IELTS, or other tests)

6. Publications, awards & honors

7. Portfolio and other relevant documents

Applications should be submitted online by January 15th, 2020.

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.vistec.in.th_admission_form.php&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=w8N4H9TApMoLV1Q0uViID0D4XS1n8qAAU0oU8nQ6GVk&s=sJFNaHZfJ2GHgUUzHEe3jx-RN1liyg6D8OmBat9Numw&e= >

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.vistec.ac.th_admission_&d=DwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=w8N4H9TApMoLV1Q0uViID0D4XS1n8qAAU0oU8nQ6GVk&s=fXnp-ljVu1WnpgZChh5HWEyKrUK_COCoTKx6Igktsb4&e=

For further information or questions

please contact:

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sarana Nutanong E-mail: snutanon at vistec.ac.th

Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology, Wangchan Valley

555 Moo1 Payupnai, Wangchan, Rayong 21210 Thailand

Tel: +6633-01-4116