[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] PhD studentships available at the Edinburgh Centre of Robotics
H.Hastie at hw.ac.uk
Sun Dec 15 10:03:16 PST 2019
Recruitment for September 2020: Closing date is January 31st 2020
The EPSRC Centre of Doctoral Training in Robotics and Autonomous Systems at the Edinburgh Centre of Robotics is offering an exciting opportunity to study a PhD through an innovative 4-year PhD training programme, drawing on our extensive experience with postgraduate teaching and research supervision. The Centre is composed of Heriot-Watt University and the University of Edinburgh and our goal is to train innovation-ready robotics researchers to be part of a multi-disciplinary team, focusing on Safe Interaction for Robotics.
PhD candidates specialise in one of the following four areas, gaining a deep understanding of technical aspects and theoretical foundations:
1. Physical Interactions: control, actuation, compliance, sensing, mapping, planning, embodiments, swarms;
2. People Interactions: human-robot interaction, affective robotics, smart spaces, human-robot teaming, collaborative decision-making, cobots, multimodal interfaces;
3. Self-Interactions: condition monitoring, prognosis, explainable AI, certification, verification, safety, security, multi-agent interactions;
4. Interaction Enablers: vision, embedded and parallel computing, novel and soft fabrication methods, optimisation, (transparent) machine learning, deep reinforcement learning and other AI techniques inc. natural language processing (NLP).
Achieving impact with robotics also requires non-technical skills, for example, an understanding of technology translation, creativity and entrepreneurial processes. These are an essential component of the CDT programme, captured in the #Cauldron training programme.
Why join us?
Flexible programme structure allows students to tailor courses to match research area of interest in year one, ensuring students have a strong general grounding in responsible research, current theory, methods and applications as a solid foundation for their PhD research.
Cohort approach with activities including group projects and away days.
Equipment and travel funding.
Opportunity for international placement in prestigious research laboratory in year three.
Bespoke #Cauldron training programme to provide non-technical skills such as understanding of technology translation, creativity, and entrepreneurial processes.
Gateway seminars with prestigious speakers.
Fund to seed innovation.
Fully funded posts available for UK/EU students; limited posts for overseas students
More information and how to apply: www.edinburgh-robotics.org/apply<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.edinburgh-2Drobotics.org_apply&d=DwIFAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=P9MfQM_6PmIP0MQt4yeXnboNmToIUxr8kmoOGtJ_rUE&s=fyEPhKaN846te5w_W0jZgCYXZ5P1Gq-wnhtF-npW-5k&e= >
How to Apply | Edinburgh Centre for Robotics<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.edinburgh-2Drobotics.org_apply&d=DwIFAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=P9MfQM_6PmIP0MQt4yeXnboNmToIUxr8kmoOGtJ_rUE&s=fyEPhKaN846te5w_W0jZgCYXZ5P1Gq-wnhtF-npW-5k&e= >
Studentships for September 2020
Helen Hastie, Professor of Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University
Director, EPSRC CDT in Robotics & Autonomous Systems (2019-2028)
Tel: 0131 451 3344, Office: EM1.42
@hfhastie @EDINrobotics @ORCA_Hub
Heriot-Watt University is The Times & The Sunday Times International University of the Year 2018
Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world, delivering innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering, design and the physical, social and life sciences. This email is generated from the Heriot-Watt University Group, which includes:
1. Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under number SC000278
2. Heriot- Watt Services Limited (Oriam), Scotland's national performance centre for sport. Heriot-Watt Services Limited is a private limited company registered is Scotland with registered number SC271030 and registered office at Research & Enterprise Services Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.
The contents (including any attachments) are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.
More information about the robotics-worldwide