[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Fully funded PhD position in neuroengineering and rehabilitation robotics at the University of Queensland
Antonio Padilha L. Bo
antonio.plb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 16:46:14 PST 2019
The School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering at the
University of Queensland, Australia, invites applications for a PhD
position in neuroengineering and rehabilitation robotics.
Loss of hand function significantly affects the quality of life of
individuals with spinal cord injury and other neurological disorders. Among
candidate interventions in these conditions, electrical stimulation is a
potential technology to restore reaching and grasping function.
Nevertheless, solutions proposed so far present limitations, such as
limited muscle selectivity, varying motor response, or the requirement of
an invasive procedure for placing the electrode interface.
In this thesis, the main goal is developing and evaluating control
strategies for noninvasive electrode arrays to improve stimulation
selectivity during functional grasping tasks. In addition to developing
algorithms based on control and machine learning, the project also involves
using wearable sensors to improving user control interface. Collaboration
with researchers from health sciences and studies with persons with
disabilities is expected. By the end of your graduate study, you will be an
expert in neuroengineering with comprehensive skills in biomedical
engineering, control, and machine learning.
* University degrees in biomedical, electrical, mechanical, mechatronics,
computer engineering, or closely related disciplines.
* Experience in biomedical signal processing, real-time control,
programming in Python and Matlab, and data analysis is required.
* Experience in human movement analysis, virtual reality, robotics, and
previous research involving human subjects is desired.
* Interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills, creativity.
* Proficiency in written and oral English.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this scholarship, please email the following documents
to Dr Antonio Padilha L Bo (antonio.plb at uq.edu.au)
* Cover letter specifying how your experience and skills match the position
* CV including English proficiency level and publication list
* Academic transcripts of BSc and MSc degrees
* Contact information for at least two academic references. A support
letter will be requested only if your application is considered
Dr Antonio Padilha L. Bo
School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
The University of Queensland
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
More information about the robotics-worldwide