[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Open PhD and Postdoc Positions in Flagship Initiative ‘Geriatronics – Robot Assistants for the Elderly’ at the Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM), Technical University of Munich

saeed Abdolshah saeed.abdolshah at tum.de
Tue Feb 5 02:47:52 PST 2019

The Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM) at the
Technical University of Munich is looking for outstanding applicants for PhD
and Postdoc positions for the Flagship Initiative ‘Geriatronics – Robot
Assistants for the Elderly‘.

*About us
*Technische Universität München (TUM) is one of Europe’s top universities.
It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary
education, and the active promotion of promising young scientists. The
university also forges strong links with companies and scientific
institutions across the world. The Munich School of Robotics and Machine
Intelligence (MSRM) at the Technical University of Munich is an integrative
research center in the field of machine intelligence. Its purpose is to
research the fundamentals of robotics, perception and artificial
intelligence in order to develop innovative and sustainable technological
solutions for central challenges of our time.

*Description
*Geriatronics refers to the application of robotics, mechatronics,
information technology and artificial intelligence in geriatrics,
gerontology and medical care of elderly people to support and improve
self-determined living in old age. Our research in this flagship initiative
involves developing the intelligent and safe service humanoid robot ‘GARMI’.
This robot is expected to assist elderly with day-to-day activities in their
homes. We plan to conduct long-term research and technology development to
find real-life solutions. Our work focuses on:
• Design and development of a multi-modal robotic head with an intelligent
and self-learning interface for human-robot interaction with the elderly
• Design and development of an artificial hand for real world manipulation
• Telepresence and telemedicine with haptic feedback
• Monitoring and visualization of an individual’s health, including the
development of an advanced mathematical model for the circulatory system,
lymph and musculoskeletal system of the human upper limbs.

*Location*
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is located at the foot of the Alps, approximately
90km south of Munich (1h by car, 1.5h by train). Surrounded by scenic nature
and a breath-taking panorama, the town is a premier health and winter sports
resort and a perfect place to enjoy an outdoorsy trip.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen also hosts our Geriatronics research center, which is
funded by the non-profit LongLeif GAPA gGmbH and is located in the center of
the town, close to the train station. This research center offers a unique
environment with a close network of local physicians, clinics and nursing
homes, who are partners in our research initiative.

*How to Apply?
*We are continuously looking for EXCELLENT PhD students and Postdocs to join
our Geriatronics research center team. Please consider applying if you have
a background in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer
science, biomechanics, or a comparable field. We especially seek individuals
who wish to specialize in robotics, machine learning, control, neuromuscular
and musculoskeletal modelling, or the like.

PhD applications should include the following documents:
• A motivation letter describing your research interests, your
qualifications, and why you would be a suitable candidate
• A detailed CV
• Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees
• Email addresses of at least two references

The following documents are needed for Postdoc applications:
• A motivation letter
• A detailed CV
• Email addresses of at least two references

Interested applicants should send us the necessary documents via email to:
applications at msrm.tum.de quoting “PhD/Postdoc Application, Geriatronics –
Robot Assistants for the Elderly” in the e-mail subject line. The positions
will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
TUM has been pursuing the strategic goal of substantially increasing the
diversity of its staff. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer, TUM explicitly encourages nominations of and applications from
women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity
dimensions to the university’s research and teaching strategies. Preference
will be given to disabled candidates with equal qualifications.
International candidates are highly encouraged to apply.

Saeed Abdolshah, Ph.D.
Postdoc researcher
Chair of Robotics Science and Systems Intelligence (RSI)
Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence
Technical University of Munich
Heßstraße 134, 80797, Munich
Email: saeed.abdolshah at tum.de

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__robotics-2Dworldwide.1046236.n5.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=bwZZLHwefA66eEqp-oXikXzUHCK6X7cXgHuB-NbZQVw&s=akWJnbLm3Bc_3uGNGUmUB2hINLU7Lygub2vPQEP7T0E&e=