[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP Call for papers - ICRA 2019 Workshop on Underwater Robotics Perception
Arturo Gomez Chavez
a.gomezchavez at jacobs-university.de
Mon Feb 11 07:02:40 PST 2019
****** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING ******
ICRA 2019 Workshop
Title: UNDERWATER ROBOTICS PERCEPTION
Date: May 23rd or May 24th (full day) TBA
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact: a.gomezchavez at jacobs-university.de enrica.zereik at cnr.it
April 1st: Submission deadline
April 15th: Notification of acceptance
May 6th: Camera ready paper
May 23rd or 24th: Workshop (full-day) TBC
Link to call for papers:
Authors are required to submit a 4-8 pages paper as PDF in the standard
ICRA IEEE conference format. We encourage contributions of research papers
describing early research on emerging topics and early results.
Submissions will be judged based on relevance to the workshop topics,
technical quality, and novelty. Authors of accepted papers are expected to
give a lightning talk (3 minutes) and to present a poster at the workshop.
A number of papers will be selected for a 15 minutes oral presentation. All
accepted papers will be available in the workshop website and the authors
of the best paper will be awarded. Outstanding submissions will be invited
for an Journal Special Issue on the conference topic; details will be
announced in the following weeks.
Submission Link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cmt3.research.microsoft.com_ICRAURP2019&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=mFsmCV30McSxlXE6COhtKMloSwHLdX8MzqaSIzDRDfk&s=B1PFAaSINKOcq9ukcNOB6hwo1xHWFeQUrUiJpzXJfq0&e=
Recently, there has been rapid progress in the development of Unmanned
Underwater (UUVs) and Remote Operating Vehicles (ROVs); and marine robotics
is expected to have a tremendous impact in the coming years not only in
ocean exploration but also exploitation. The capability to perceive the
working unstructured and dynamic environment is an essential step towards
the development of effective and reliable robotic systems, able to work
autonomously and react to external events. Numerous challenges arise while
pursuing such objectives in underwater scenarios; contrary to its
industrial counterpart, the environment cannot be controlled or tailored to
suit an automation task i.e., lighting, object poses, etc.
For these reasons, this workshop aims to provide a broad and extremely
interesting overview of the best practices to enable robust perception in
underwater robots. Keynote talks from researchers and industry partners,
with ample hands-on and field experience, will generate new ideas,
collaborations and research interests. The main topics to be addressed in
the workshop are mentioned next, but these do not prevent discussions and
submitted papers from covering other related subjects.
* Object detection and recognition in different sensor domains (stereo
vision, lasers, acoustic sensors i.e. sonars, multibeam).
* Image enhancement and distortion removal (dehazing, color correction).
* Sensor fusion and signal processing.
* Environment modeling (bathymetry, 3D representation and mapping, SLAM).
* Simulated environments and continuous system integration
(hardware-in-the-loop, synthetic data generation, simulation to real-world
* Deep learning practices and machine learning pipelines in any of the
* Heavily tested systems in field trials and best practices for deployment
and data management.
* Prof. Andreas Birk - Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
* Dr. Yogesh A. Girdhar - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI)
* Prof. Michael Kaess - CMU Robot Perception Lab
* Dr. Ayoung Kim - Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
* Prof. Pere Ridao - University of Girona, Underwater Robotics Research
* Katherine A. Skinner - University of Michigan, Robotics Institute
* (TBA) Industrial partner
Visit the preliminary program:
* Arturo Gomez Chavez - Research Associate - Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
* Dr. Enrica Zereik - Italian National Research Council (CNR)
* Prof. Francesco Maurelli - Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
* Dr. Christian A. Mueller - Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
MSc. Arturo Gomez Chavez
Robotics PhD student
Jacobs University Bremen - Robotics Group
More information about the robotics-worldwide