[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Teaching-Track Faculty Position in Robotics at JHU School of Engineering

Louis L. Whitcomb llw at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 11 15:49:15 PST 2019

Teaching-Track Faculty Position in Robotics

The Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics (LCSR) at the
Johns Hopkins University invites applications for a full-time teaching
faculty position.  The individual selected for this position will be
expected to contribute to our educational mission through teaching,
curriculum development, and advising and mentoring students, including
Robotics MSE students and undergraduate Robotics minors. Johns Hopkins
is a private university well known for its commitment to academic
excellence and research. Robotics at Johns Hopkins is among the top in
the USA in terms of research activities and educational programs. See
our web page at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lcsr.jhu.edu&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=cGtX4I-C2u7rNc_AdS4fboFf_h1K_0b0TWg51ZciOfA&s=eedkSJldSRl6ZLS_jQ8nfLPAcm4N_UraxRrVNHHFokg&e= for additional information about
research and educational activities. This is a non-tenure-track
position, with opportunity for career progression in the
non-tenure-track positions of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate
Teaching Professor, and Teaching Professor. The appointment will be in
an appropriate academic department within the Whiting School of Engineering.

Qualified candidates at all ranks (Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate
Teaching Professor, Teaching Professor) will be considered. The ideal
candidate will have earned a Ph.D. in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering,
Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field,
has a minimum of 5 years of experience in robotics research and
development, and will have demonstrated excellence in teaching. It is
desired that the candidate has experience and interest in teaching
courses in the broad areas of robotics and sensing. Experience in
industry or with practically deployed robotic systems is also desirable.
We seek candidates with experience teaching and advising students from
diverse backgrounds/underrepresented groups.  Teaching responsibilities
would include graduate and undergraduate courses in topics such as robot
control, robot vision, sensor-based navigation, machine learning for
robotics, and other closely related topics. Candidates with expertise
with physical testbeds and strong ROS programming skills will be preferred.

Applications should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a
statement of teaching philosophy and interests, and a list of
references. The application should be submitted electronically via
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__apply.interfolio.com_46079&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=cGtX4I-C2u7rNc_AdS4fboFf_h1K_0b0TWg51ZciOfA&s=mIAuuLaJgnIJNXfeT98w5qrTcOOImIEB_wXg-2f2PuU&e=. Applicants should arrange for three
reference letters to uploaded. Applications will be considered on an
ongoing basis until the position is filled, beginning November 30, 2018.

Questions should be directed to Prof. Louis Whitcomb, LCSR Deputy
Director, at lcsr-lec-search at jhu.edu.

Johns Hopkins University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse
faculty and student body. The University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and
individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and
other protected group members. Consistent with the University’s goals of
achieving excellence in all areas, we will assess the comprehensive
qualifications of each applicant.

Louis L. Whitcomb, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
115 Hackerman Hall, 3400 N. Charles Street
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 21218-2681
llw at jhu.edu, 410-516-6724, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dscl.lcsr.jhu.edu&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=cGtX4I-C2u7rNc_AdS4fboFf_h1K_0b0TWg51ZciOfA&s=8zR-kVyxg5FWa-a3bMH-Ovx7u4rdNrEXNeQwiDZx7Ek&e=