[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] postdoc position at MIT and MGH: machine vision for surgery

rus rus at csail.mit.edu
Sat Feb 16 06:02:25 PST 2019

Please excuse cross-posting.
MIT/CSAIL <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csail.mit.edu_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=26syKilfVTtRh-5BGE-MszsIvunYfqELaUClj1I1IiA&s=IWTvOlvTF-w-t7DwMeOfEkqSdKbKmD8M7cjizSER9X0&e=>'s Distributed Robotics Lab <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.csail.mit.edu_research_distributed-2Drobotics-2Dlaboratory&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=26syKilfVTtRh-5BGE-MszsIvunYfqELaUClj1I1IiA&s=kdxpUVFN8PFDyTP1eGVTYBca2LMSZKcTN3NALvumyXw&e=> in collaboration with Mass. General Hospital’s Department of Surgery <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.massgeneral.org_surgery_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=26syKilfVTtRh-5BGE-MszsIvunYfqELaUClj1I1IiA&s=kSerYiz27LYwQvHD1HYS4h128Fa7mubswQ75ecgTpvQ&e=> and Surgical Artificial Intelligence and Innovation Laboratory <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.saiil.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=26syKilfVTtRh-5BGE-MszsIvunYfqELaUClj1I1IiA&s=V_h7h7BgOshCK8T3ly8X5-fFhSM7OsAZtzHFImc0tQ0&e=> are looking for a smart and energetic machine learning/computer vision postdoctoral candidate for a project aimed at revolutionizing the way surgery works. Candidates should have good knowledge of probability and inference, reinforcement learning, and basic knowledge in computer vision with some experience in one or more deep learning frameworks.

The project is a two-year project with possibility for extension and has the potential to grow toward both a research and a commercialization track. The project includes both inference/computationally novel aspects, as well as clinical ones. Computational elements include computer vision and modeling/ML aspects aimed to revolutionize the way we understand surgery and assist surgeons.

Candidates will have the opportunity to work with novel datasets that combine streaming surgical data with datasets of clinical outcomes and procedural quality. The project has the potential to significantly redefine the delivery and quality of surgical care in both resource rich and poor settings.

Candidates should contact either Dr. Daniel Hashimoto <dahashimoto at mgh.harvard.edu> or Dr. Guy Rosman <rosman at csail.mit.edu>, under the supervision of Professors Daniela Rus (MIT) and Ozanan Meireles (MGH).

Skills:
- PhD in an EE/CS field that leverages probabilistic reasoning and/or machine learning techniques.
- Understanding of either probabilistic inference, statistical signal processing, or reinforcement learning.
- Basic understanding and some experience with computer vision / robotic perception.
- Working knowledge with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow or Pytorch.
- Good programming skills in python/Matlab, some skills in C/C++.
- No medical knowledge necessary

Prof. Daniela Rus
Director, CSAIL
Andrew (1956) and Erna Viterbi Professor, EECS
MIT