[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Second research stay initiative for PhD students at ABB Corporate Research, Sweden

Pietro Falco pietro.falco at se.abb.com
Wed Feb 20 05:01:39 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,
Due to the success of the first ABB research stay initiative, we are glad to announce the second call.
The objective of the ABB research stay initiative is to strengthen the connection between talented PhD students worldwide and the ABB Corporate Research center in Västerås, Sweden. The program consists in a research stay of 6-8 months at our institute. During this period, the researcher can build connections within ABB and carry out a research project, in order to facilitate exchange of ideas and technologies between academia and industry.

HOW TO APPLY:
The candidate writes a brief proposal that includes:
. research plan
. architecture of hardware or software modules that will be implemented . list of additional equipment needed . description of the final experiment . relevance of the project for ABB and the entire society . planned publications/patents The proposal should be 2 to max 3 pages, including references.
PhD students are eligible to apply.
Please send the pdf file with proposal and a detailed CV to mailto:pietro.falco at se.abb.com

The proposal will concern one of the following research areas:
1. Programming by demonstration for mobile manipulators 2. Coordinated control of multiple robots 3. Object grasping with a mobile manipulator

We will evaluate the proposal based on
. potential relevance for ABB and the whole society . scientific achievements of the candidate (publications, patents, international research experiences, third-party funding acquired)

For PhD students who have a scholarship or regular job contract, we offer free accommodation in Västerås and additional 50 kSEK for living costs. You will have the opportunity to cooperate with scientists at ABB Corporate Research in Västerås, and, if relevant, with R&D engineers of the Robotics Business Unit.  The research stay will be carried out in the Cobot Lab, where YuMi robots are available both fixed and mounted on a mobile platform.

CLOSING DATE: 03.03.2019

Best regards,
Pietro

Pietro Falco, Ph.D.