[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Research Scientist - Machine Learning for Robotics at the Bosch Center for AI and University of Tübingen, Germany

Neumann Gerhard (CR/PJ-AI-R33) Gerhard.Neumann at de.bosch.com
Wed Jul 3 07:51:55 PDT 2019

Dear all,

At the Bosch Center for AI (BCAI), we are building a new group for machine learning for robot manipulation. The group will be located at the University of Tübingen and led by Prof. Gerhard Neumann. The BCAI is a leading lab in machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) which regularly publishes at top venues such as NIPS and ICML. Our aspiration for the new group is to become one of the leading robotics groups in world. We aim to make robot manipulation useable in the real world, such as cluttered unknown environments consisting of unknown, possibly deformable objects where fine and forceful manipulations need to be applied to the scene such as object assembly. Our research will be focused on the development of new learning algorithms that are useable in these scenarios.

We are searching for excellent candidates that hold a PhD in computer science or related areas with research expertise in the following or related areas:

-        (Deep) Reinforcement Learning

-        Deep Learning for Robotics

-        Learning for Control

-        Imitation Learning

-        Robot Vision

-        Robot Grasping and Manipulation

Your duties will include:

  *   Create something new: You research and develop novel machine learning algorithms for robot manipulation focus on reinforcement learning, learning from demonstration and robot vision.
  *   Help shape the future: Moreover, you develop AI algorithms for manipulation of unstructured scenes, forceful interactions and manufacturing applications.
  *   Take responsibility: You supervise PhD and Master students.
  *   Integrated implementation: Other key tasks and responsibilities include transferring and integrating state-of-the-art research results into Bosch applications, technical discussions, and creating new ideas within the existing robot manipulation team, as well as innovative research and publications at top machine learning and robotics conferences and journals.

Your profile:

  *   Education: excellent degree (PhD) in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, math or related fields with excellent marks.
  *   Personality: highly motivated to work on these challenging topics and develop a personal research agenda.
  *   Working Practice: team-oriented, open-minded and inquisitive
  *   Experience and Knowledge: excellent skills in Python, ROS, C++ or Matlab and excellent math skills, knowledge in the areas of machine learning and robotics is preferential
  *   Qualifications: evidence of an impactful research portfolio and published papers at top venues
  *   Languages: very good in English (written and spoken)

Interested candidates can apply using the following link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.stepstone.de_stellenangebote-2D-2DResearch-2DScientist-2DMachine-2DLearning-2Dfor-2DRobotics-2DRenningen-2DBosch-2DGruppe-2D-2D5883482-2Dinline.html&d=DwIFAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=rrZ8MewpuONkTm-d4LXBLYkom7djEKwekC2hvZaiQnw&s=_gu7C4KZPDJ2sf8H_enVAS1WxP8SELq7xHlAq-Yv7dA&e=  . For further enquiries, please contact Gerhard Neumann (Gerhard.Neumann at de.bosch.com<mailto:Gerhard.Neumann at de.bosch.com>)

Best regards,

Gerhard Neumann

Information Theoretic Reinforcement Learning (CR/PJ-AI-R33)
Gerhard.Neumann at de.bosch.com<mailto:Gerhard.Neumann at de.bosch.com>