[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation - ICRA 2019 Tutorial: Subterranean Autonomy

Stump, Ethan A CIV USARMY FUTURES COMMAND (USA) ethan.a.stump2.civ at mail.mil
Fri Mar 1 11:36:08 PST 2019

 Call for Participation

 Subterranean Autonomy: Open Challenges, Resilient Design, and Virtual Benchmarking
 Tutorial at 2019 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)

 Date: 23 or 24 May 2019 (TBD)
 Location: Montreal, Canada
 Website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__icra2019subt.info_&d=DwIFAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=bBfdnHnqDdAazFgJ-0rwGQMHvIXuukfAWqoyNT28Nmc&s=68OxKRGbkXj_GoK0MfcijSR4-lw5etWu1HGwNqsA6lQ&e=

** Purpose and Audience **

This tutorial introduces the unique subterranean robotics problem domain and a concrete simulation-based framework for initiating and carrying out research into complex systems-oriented solutions.

The session may appeal to:
 - graduate students looking for problems and tools they can use to define a thesis topic
 - practitioners interested in techniques for scalable simulation of complex environments
 - roboticists looking for insight into systems thinking for multi-agent applications
 - research groups looking for good entry points into a challenging research domain with an emerging community

** Background **

Subterranean environments remain, in many ways, a hidden domain in spite of being relevant across a range of industries and applications. Such environments can vary drastically across subdomains such as tunnel systems, urban and municipal underground infrastructure, and natural cave networks. Furthermore, in time-sensitive scenarios, such as in disaster response, first responders are faced with a range of increased technical challenges, including difficult and dynamic terrains, degraded environmental conditions, severe communication constraints, and expansive areas of operation. These environments often pose too great a risk to deploy personnel.

Robotics offers a compelling answer to this broad set of challenges, but issues like time-sensitive missions will require systems-level approaches built with teams of cooperating platforms and advancements across a range of technologies, including autonomy, perception, networking, and mobility.

** Approach **

We will present the topic of subterranean autonomy as an invitation to the robotics community, focusing on key open challenges with an eye towards possible contributions and on a concrete starting point for building and demonstrating systems solutions that can begin to address this complex problem space.

With the help of experts from the subterranean applications community, we will discuss the key challenges of perception and wireless communications and how the environment requires us to revisit common assumptions and models as we seek to build solutions.

We will present a holistic simulation framework, based on Gazebo, that can be used as a starting point for demonstrating the efficacy of systems solutions in complex environments. Together with the simulator, we will present a reference architecture that builds upon the work of the robotics community to begin to address the needs of subterranean autonomy. We will discuss what it means to run a virtual experiment and introduce a virtual benchmark and simple leaderboard for comparing solutions.

** Keynote Speakers **

Timothy Chung, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Jonathan Fink, U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
Nathan Koenig, Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF)
John Rogers, U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
Carlos Aguero, Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF)

** Organizers **

Ethan Stump, U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
John Rogers, U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
Nate Koenig, Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF)
Gaurav Sukhatme, University of Southern California (USC)

--------
Ethan Stump, PhD
Computational and Information Sciences Directorate
CC-DEVCOM - Army Research Laboratory
Army Futures Command
2800 Powder Mill Rd
Adelphi, MD 20783