[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Contributions: Toward Online Optimal Control of Dynamic Robots (ICRA 2019 Workshop)

Patrick Wensing pwensing at nd.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:01:37 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the organizers, we invite your contributions to the ICRA 2019 workshop "Toward Online Optimal Control of Dynamic Robots". This workshop will bring together leaders across theory, algorithms, and applications of optimal control & estimation to review recent advances and chart next steps forward for the community. As part of the program, we invite extended abstract submissions (up to 2 pages) to be featured in our poster session.

The organizers welcome submissions from all stages of the research process, from work in progress to journal-ready results. In particular, we encourage participation from early-stage PhD students and aim to provide an opportunity to present in a supportive environment.

* Abstract Submissions
	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_my_conference.cgi-3Fconf-3Dicra19wsoptimalcontr&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=c2GvyKkwON_P3JExbEvMUj5DUdxEpfNw02azyRBxy64&s=zgryfDxLvkdV0Gi2B-OsPMWITdxBWsh63U2axrv2sxY&e=

* Important Dates:
	Deadline for submission of extended abstracts: April 1st, 2019
	Notification of acceptance: April 15th, 2019
	Workshop: May 23rd or 24th, 2019

* Website
	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rsl.ethz.ch_ocdb2019&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=c2GvyKkwON_P3JExbEvMUj5DUdxEpfNw02azyRBxy64&s=EOZBMGplcRedifRGq_heXtLlQPmrMLSZy_D7NOpupRo&e=

* Organizers
	Farbod Farshidian
	Justin Carpentier
	Patrick M. Wensing
	Eiichi Yoshida

* Abstract:

As robots are dispatched into the real world, they are faced with a need to autonomously generate goal-driven movements tailored to the (often uncertain) environment at hand. Optimal control & estimation methods have gained broad interest to address this challenge as they (1) provide a principled framework supported by well established and proven theory to architect goal-directed behaviors through parsimonious specifications, (2) exhibit strong generalizability in comparison to model-free techniques, and (3) admit transcription into numerically solvable optimization problems. When applied online, the solution of these problems has historically been limited to systems with a modest number of degrees of freedom due to computational demands and sensitivity challenges. However, in recent years, a combination of efficient numerical techniques and carefully-structured formulations have begun to show promise for the viability of online application with more complex systems.

These online solutions will have an impact across robotics, from new paradigms for generating whole-body motion of humanoids and quadrupeds, to enabling reactive control of complex contact interactions in locomotion and grasping.
This workshop will bring together leaders across theory, algorithms, and applications of optimal control & estimation to review recent advances and chart next steps forward for the community.

Best,
-Pat

Patrick Wensing, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
University of Notre Dame

ph: 574-631-2652
web: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sites.nd.edu_pwensing&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=c2GvyKkwON_P3JExbEvMUj5DUdxEpfNw02azyRBxy64&s=0VlqLX3tt9jnrmz4wQFU2iRq4ErAySZ8IMVJiMQsdCo&e=