[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] PhD placements available at the Edinburgh Centre of Robotics- closing date approaching!
H.Hastie at hw.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 05:17:45 PDT 2019
EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Robotics and Autonomous Systems is looking for candidates to apply for PhD placements.
Closing date approaching! March 17th, 2019
Heriot-Watt University and the University of Edinburgh are jointly offering an exciting opportunity to study a PhD through an innovative 4-year PhD training programme, drawing on our extensive experience with postgraduate teaching and research supervision in the area of Robotics and Autonomous Systems. The Centre's goal is to train innovation-ready robotics researchers to be part of a multi-disciplinary team, focusing on Safe Interaction for Robotics. PhD candidates specialise in one of the following four areas, gaining a deep understanding of technical aspects and theoretical foundations:
1. Physical Interactions: control, actuation, compliance, sensing, mapping, planning, embodiments, swarms;
2. People Interactions: human-robot interaction, affective robotics, smart spaces, human-robot teaming, collaborative decision-making, cobots, multimodal interfaces;
3. Self-Interactions: condition monitoring, prognosis, explainable AI, certification, verification, safety, security, multi-agent interactions;
4. Interaction Enablers: vision, embedded and parallel computing, novel and soft fabrication methods, optimisation, (transparent) machine learning, deep reinforcement learning and other AI techniques inc. natural language processing (NLP).
Achieving impact with robotics also requires non-technical skills, for example an understanding of technology translation, creativity and entrepreneurial processes. These are an essential component of the CDT programme, captured in the #Cauldron<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.edinburgh-2Drobotics.org_content_cauldron&d=DwIGaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=gW_-4Kd5Qxm0Z-cHxUQGeWZnUmQKjYd_l6O8CVySNzw&s=QRPFCKDQxqNKRVmOIPvYyjQkKP1tJxMgN-3yPKxtpLo&e=> training programme.
Why join us?
* Flexible programme structure allows students to tailor courses to match research area of interest in year one, ensuring students have a strong general grounding in responsible research, current theory, methods and applications as a solid foundation for their PhD research.
* Cohort approach with activities including group projects and away days.
* Opportunity for international placement in prestigious research laboratory in year three.
* Bespoke #Cauldron training programme to provide non-technical skills such as understanding of technology translation, creativity, and entrepreneurial processes.
* Gateway seminars with prestigious speakers.
* Fund to seed innovation.
* Fully funded posts available for UK/EU students; limited posts for overseas students
More information and how to apply: www.edinburgh-robotics.org/apply<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.edinburgh-2Drobotics.org_apply&d=DwIGaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=gW_-4Kd5Qxm0Z-cHxUQGeWZnUmQKjYd_l6O8CVySNzw&s=1pkqg9AYJE1gIztbGOXWrVfZz6P_wrWAXOFPlcpiEoc&e=>
Heriot-Watt University is The Times & The Sunday Times International University of the Year 2018
Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world, delivering innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering, design and the physical, social and life sciences. This email is generated from the Heriot-Watt University Group, which includes:
1. Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under number SC000278
2. Edinburgh Business School a Charity Registered in Scotland, SC026900. Edinburgh Business School is a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland with registered number SC173556 and registered office at Heriot-Watt University Finance Office, Riccarton, Currie, Midlothian, EH14 4AS
3. Heriot- Watt Services Limited (Oriam), Scotland's national performance centre for sport. Heriot-Watt Services Limited is a private limited company registered is Scotland with registered number SC271030 and registered office at Research & Enterprise Services Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.
The contents (including any attachments) are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.
More information about the robotics-worldwide