[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Vacancy for Robotics Engineer at Latent Logic in Oxford, UK

Shimon Whiteson shimon.whiteson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 03:44:37 PDT 2019

Latent Logic is looking for a Robotics Engineer to reinforce our team and
contribute to the development of our autonomous systems. You will work
directly under the supervision of our CTO, and develop control, navigation
and decision-making algorithms.

This role is expected to start in* April* *2019*, and is based in *Oxford,
U.K.*

What we’ll ask from you:

   -

   Passion for autonomous systems
   -

   A desire for excellence in real-world, practical applications
   -

   Use of software development best practices to promote modularity and
   flexibility;
   -

   Commitment to developing strong working relationships with the wider
   team, and investment in building trust through open communication

As part of a growing start-up, your role will be diverse and fast paced.

Share options may be available to reward this commitment to the long-term
development of the company and your role in our future success.

To apply for this role, please send your CV to applications at latentlogic.com.

*About us*

Latent Logic (*www.latentlogic.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.latentlogic.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=7sfrkxHSc1E8DXV1B1EdD6I-lPu3r7mJpY3TvY2unTI&s=27oug0m_2MPouXOFYAQZ5rA7GFlf_dObUUJLjmOHcIQ&e=>*) is a
dynamic deep tech start-up recently spun out from Oxford University. Our
mission is to use state-of-the-art A.I. to learn complex human behaviours
from real demonstrations, such as video data, so that we can design
autonomous systems which can work collaboratively alongside humans. Our
first market is self-driving cars, where we build virtual humans for the
simulators used to test and train autonomous vehicles.

We closed our seed round in February 2018 and are looking for bright,
motivated people to join our growing team and help us achieve our mission.

*Your Experience *
You should have a Master's degree or equivalent formal education, covering
the basics of Mobile Robotics, particularly in the following topics:

   -

   Navigation – including local control, obstacle avoidance, and path
   planning
   -

   Sensor fusion
   -

   Signal processing
   -

   Control Theory
   -

   Discrete Event Systems, particularly with application in behavioural
   abstraction for robotics (ideally, but not required)

As well as experience with:

   -

   Python
   -

   Software development in a Linux environment
   -

   Git
   -

   ROS

We have a diverse team and international candidates are welcomed.

*Our Values*

Successful candidates will share our values and help to role-model them.
This means we look for people who are:

*Honest and open: *you prefer straight-forward communications and don’t
play politics. You believe that open but empathetic communication is the
key to building trust and successful relationships. You like the idea of
working in and promoting a culture of continuous feedback so you and others
keep learning and developing skills

*Collaborative and practical*: You want to have an impact on the world
through translating highly sophisticated algorithms and methods to software
that addresses real-world challenges. You like solving problems in teams,
and are happy to help with practical, short-term tasks to get the job done.
You want to build high-quality code that lasts, so you appreciate the
importance of software engineering best practices and you welcome
supervision from the team’s senior software developers to that end.

*Pioneering and intellectually-curious*: our mission is to extend the
state-of-the-art in our fields of computer vision and imitation learning –
which means coming up with new and evolving solutions to hard research
questions that no-one’s answered before. You take structured approaches to
open research questions, and understand the uncertain nature of scientific
research.

*Open-minded*: You try to take an objective and structured approach to
cracking real-world problems. You believe good ideas can come from
anywhere, and create an environment where less experienced members of the
team feel free to suggest their own ideas and think for themselves. You
take time to understand where other people are coming from, even if you
don’t immediately agree with them.