[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] Anki - Robotics Engineer Needed!

Judd Eliasoph judd at anki.com
Thu Mar 21 11:01:31 PDT 2019

*Robotics Engineer - Systems and Sensors
ANKI Inc.
San Francisco, CA*

*About Us:*

Anki is a leading consumer robotics company, founded by three Carnegie
Mellon Robotics Institute graduates. We’re building on decades of scientific
research to make artificial intelligence accessible to everyone. We are
dedicated to creating unique consumer products that people would not expect
to be possible, powered by robotics and AI.

We deliver accessible consumer robots at high-scale, along the way solving
incredibly hard, real-world robotics problems while building a great
consumer brand and company. Our products perform under a wide variety of
real-world conditions in people's homes, every day, reliably and
consistently and aim to represent the premium and most capable choice in the
categories they are in.

We push the boundaries of expectations for what an affordable and accessible
consumer robot can do today and we’re leveraging our presence in more than
nearly two million households to build a software, hardware and cloud
technology stack that will power a wide variety of even more capable
consumer robots in the near future.  Our earlier products in entertainment
(Overdrive and Cozmo) have been near the top of their categories for years,
and Anki is now branding out into Home Robotics with continued development
to push the boundaries on the smart home and into diverse related sectors.

Recently, Anki launched Vector, the company’s first fully autonomous,
always-on home robot with a rich personality that is also a helpful
companion. Being cloud-connected and packing an impressive amount of tech in
a small form, Vector (The Good Robot) is a living character and an evolving
consumer robotics platform that will continually expand for years to come.

To date, we have closed more than $200M in investments from top-tier
investors such as JP Morgan Chase. Last year, Anki generated nearly $100M in
revenue.

We’re proud to be regarded as industry leaders in the consumer robotics & AI
space. Some of our recent accolades include:

Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the “Robotics” Category (2015,
2016 & #2 in 2017)
CB Insight Artificial 100 List (2017 & 2018)
Robotics Business Review “RBR50” List 2017
San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards 2017

*Duties and Responsibilities:*

Developing and maintaining the sensing, actuation, localization, and mapping
capabilities of Anki’s robotic platforms for reliable performance at scale
in unknown and dynamic environments.
Developing and maintaining a high-level API to the robot's hardware
functions that makes programming both the real and simulated robots as easy
as possible.
Taking ownership of major system components from prototype to ship, keeping
stakeholders regularly informed throughout production
Writing performant and maintainable code in C++
Creating tools as needed to get the job done efficiently
Supporting manufacturing and testing efforts to deliver well-calibrated and
reliable systems
Working with an experienced and multi-disciplinary team of engineers,
artists, UX/character designers, testers, and producers to deliver the best
user experience possible

*Must-Have Qualifications:*

Exceptional software engineering and programming background, with experience
developing on teams and keeping on schedule
Extremely strong C/C++ development, testing, and debugging skills
Experience working with physical mobile platforms
Hands-on experience developing and testing robotic systems that operate in
unpredictable environments
Experience working with a wide array of sensors for robot perception
Proven skills creating automated tests and working with manual testers on
complex projects
Strong problem solving and analytical skills
Strong communication skills
Ability to work in a fast-paced, iterative development environment
Ability to tame the complexity of large software systems for the benefit of
both users and your fellow developers.
Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related field

*Desired Qualifications:*

Graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
Experience shipping a physical commercial product
Familiarity with ROS
Experience developing robots that interact with people in real-world
environments

*Benefits:*

Great San Francisco office with lots of light and great views, convenient to
every mode of mass transit – on wheels, on rails, and on water
Regularly scheduled on and off-site team building activities
Start-up environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge
impact
Free catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
You get to work on innovative products and challenging problems with some
amazingly talented (and fun) people!

Note: we are only looking for people currently based in North America
Note: To Apply, please email your resume to Jobs at anki.com.

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__robotics-2Dworldwide.1046236.n5.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=zcDm51EXAi4psGnVIZI6ebJ7Dl4y7efU6Qw_JAtpJ_o&s=QWc8Bl5aUNnwnXOU8pttgZBbbdpHxZRfm-V9dTSi7H0&e=