[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] (Google) X - Wearable Robotics & Biomechanics - Residency Program

Elliott Rouse erouse at x.team
Fri Mar 6 15:24:05 PST 2020

*(GOOGLE) X RESIDENCY PROGRAM - WEARABLE ROBOTICS & BIOMECHANICS (Final
Call)*

Internship, Mountain View, CA USA (HQ)

Apply now: Email a CV to Elliott Rouse (erouse at x.team). Include subject ‘X
Residency Application’ and provide keywords that describe your expertise /
background as the first line in the email body.  Applications will be
accepted until 3/13.

*THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY:*

X is a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch
technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of
people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world's most intractable problems, not
10% improvement.

Our mission at X is to invent and launch "moonshot" technologies that aim
to make the world a radically better place. We define a moonshot as the
intersection of a big problem, a radical solution, and breakthrough
technology.

You can expect to be part of a lively community, including your project
team, other AI or Quantum Residents and doctoral interns.

*DETAILS:*

- Duration:  6+ months preferred
- Location:  X’s headquarters in Mountain View, California
- Start Date:  Between March and June, earlier preferred
- Compensation: Competitive, based on your experience and education

*WHAT YOU'D BE WORKING ON:*

During this X Residency, you will join one of our confidential early-stage
X projects, focused on using cutting edge technology to improve the quality
of life for hundreds of millions of people. The team is multi-disciplinary,
bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and
soft goods. The project will be in an exploratory prototyping phase,
rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea
from a technical perspective.

Given the early stage of this project, there will be significant ambiguity
but the opportunity to show considerable impact. This is an extremely
dynamic team and requires high cross-functional communication,
organization, and planning.

*MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:*

- BA/BS degree in a STEM field such as Engineering, Robotics, CS, Physics,
or Neuroscience
- Enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a Masters
or PhD degree  with an interest in wearable robotics, assistive
technologies or biomechanics
- Coursework / expertise in biomechanics, mechatronics, control theory, and
‘hands on’ electromechanical skills
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, e.g.
Python, C/C++

*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:*

Experience with machine learning systems and control algorithms algorithms
such as: deep learning, human-in-the-loop, on-device learning,
optimization, signal processing or time-series analysis.

*PREFERRED CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES:*
- Be biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves.” Thrive in ambiguity
and be able to manage your own work
- Drive impact and love problems, not solutions. Fail often, embrace
humility
- Engineer on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a
rag-tag crew of scientists, engineers, and generalists, while operating
with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success
- Be a source of joy, inspiration and creativity to the team. Help us win
the Great Nerfgun War of 2020

At X, we don't just accept difference--we celebrate it, support it, and
thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our
community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an
affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment
opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national
origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability,
gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants
regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If
you have a special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at:
x-accommodation-request at x.team.

We look forward to hearing from interested applicants,

-Elliott
____

Elliott J Rouse PhD
Visiting Faculty | X
Assistant Professor | University of Michigan
erouse at x.team | x.company