[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP: ICRA 2020 Workshop on Uncertainty in Contact-Rich Interactions

Bernardo Aceituno-Cabezas aceituno at mit.edu
Thu Mar 12 10:37:25 PDT 2020

*Call for Posters, Videos, and Demos*
*Uncertainty in Contact-Rich Interactions: Methods and Representations*

Full-Day Workshop at ICRA 2020
31 May 2020, Paris, France

Submission deadline: April 15, 2020
Submission email: uncertainty.at.ICRA at gmail.com
<rss2017.manipulation at gmail.com>

Website and detailed program: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://uncertainty2020.mit.edu/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!73h8Bv9QX9wdnX5GROrBHPGqdEJKnhg2vwNrukkFWx94OO3vm0B6OjWgbKc8z810YGPtIabf$

*Abstract*

Representing and reasoning about unexpected situations is important in
designing reliable robotic systems. Traditional approaches include
mechanical systems that are naturally robust to uncertainty, explicitly
reasoning about a range of possible circumstances during planning, and
mitigating disturbances via accurate sensing and feedback control. Contact
rich interactions add some additional challenges, including underactuated
frictional interactions and hybrid mode switches. While friction adds a
constant degree of uncertainty, hybrid-mode switches can either amplify or
reduce the undesired effects of uncertainty.

The central questions of this workshop are: What is the role of uncertainty
in contact? How should we represent it? Should we reason about it? And how?
Currently, uncertainty in contact interactions is usually mapped to
variability in shape, poses, or forces; however,  it is not clear that
these representations describe all sources of error. Moreover, there is no
clear consensus on the trade-offs between different approaches for coping
with unplanned effects. To address some of these questions, this
workshop will include discussions on: explicit versus implicit
representations, trade-offs between model-based and data-driven approaches,
and the role of mechanical design and robust open-loop planning.
*Call for Posters*

We are soliciting 1-page abstracts on recent work of uncertainty in
contact. Accepted contributions will be presented during short spotlight
talks and at the poster session. Abstracts should be submitted as PDF files
using the same format as for the main ICRA conference submissions.

Important Dates:

   - submission deadline: April 15, 2020
   - notification: May 1, 2020
   - camera-ready: May 15, 2020
   - workshop: May 31st, 2020

Abstracts should be submitted by email to uncertainty.at.ICRA at gmail.com
<rss2017.manipulation at gmail.com>
*Call for Videos and Demos*

This workshop will accept demonstrations and videos to showcase the
importance of uncertainty in robotics. Our goal is to raise awareness on
both the effect of uncertainty in real systems and the recent research
developed to handle this uncertainty. Speakers, poster presenters, and
audience are welcome to submit any videos until the workshop day.
Similarly, we also encourage the submission of any demos that can be
performed in the workshop room