[robotics-worldwide] [Meetings] RSS Workshop on Reacting to Contact 2020

Ankit Bhatia ankitb at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 17 08:57:48 PDT 2020

RSS 2020 Workshop on Reacting to contact -- Enabling transparent interactions through intelligent sensing and actuation.

July 12th, 2020 (submission deadline: April 9th, 2020)
Oregon State University, Corvalis, OR, USA before the main conference.
For more information: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mlab.ri.cmu.edu/index.php/reacting-contact-workshop-rss-2020__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!-TSa5uBsNQlzcimNdNSLhmn9ylLrYCgibEA-_AEXFwVrdTBAprLGFAdx26mtAKMOA-cQCS3r$  (https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mlab.ri.cmu.edu/index.php/reacting-contact-workshop-rss-2020__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!4dRdaSgMkUnjyBcuWwunfhGz_EUPhni7Zj3i59RZlHwzJHEbVf9kTAAFTrc0wPGZsV3uLIdF$)

Call for submissions
For this workshop we are seeking extended abstracts by April 9th, 2020 (up to 2 pages in length excluding references.) Please include enough detail in the abstract for the organizers to gauge the quality of your presentation and it’s relavance to the workshop. To standardize the submissions, we encourage the use of the IEEEtran.cls format which is also used by the main conference. Details can be found here (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://roboticsconference.org/2019/12/04/paper-format/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!4dRdaSgMkUnjyBcuWwunfhGz_EUPhni7Zj3i59RZlHwzJHEbVf9kTAAFTrc0wPGZsUTdusJS$).

On acceptance, the authors will be invited to give lightning talks. The contributed lightening talks will follow a format similar to the main conference with short 4-minute timed video presentations with 1 minute for questions following the lightening talk. The lightning talks will be due on July 5th, 2020.

Description
Manipulation, locomotion, and pHRI are some of the many communities in robotics that care about transparently reacting to contact in a safe and robust way. This workshop is an attempt to consolidate the experience of these communities and search for future directions of research.

Today most robots successfully deployed in the field are built to avoid contacts. When they have to make or break contact, they have to slow down considerably to minimize impacts and avoid damaging their structure or the world. As we start deploying robots in contact-rich environments, this strategy may not be productive. Robots will have to deal with contacts at speed. Over the years, ways to react to these unexpected external stimuli have been proposed through innovations in sensing, actuation and control. This continues to be an active area of research.

Increasing the transparency of your system can improve your ability to react to contact. The term transparency is borrowed from teleoperation research, where it means that the operator feels as if directly present in the task. The key is effective transmission of information carried by force and velocity signals through the robot’s structure. Adding mechanical compliance for example, improves the one-way transparency of the system, that is, transfer of end effector forces to your controller.

Through this workshop we wish to answer one question: How can we make robots more transparent to contacts? In the process we intend to explore the key developments that allow robots to be reactive to contacts in the field of robotic manipulation, locomotion and physical human robot interaction and orthogonal to this, the space of sensors, actuators, controllers.

-- Ankit Bhatia, Aaron Johnson, Matthew T. Mason
Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Institute,
Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh, PA