[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] R&D Postdoc in Vision-based Robot Control & Intelligent Robotics

Pietro Falco pietro.falco at se.abb.com
Wed Mar 18 03:13:11 PDT 2020

R&D Postdoc - Vision-based Robot Control & Intelligent Robotics

ABB Corporate Research, Sweden, is seeking a highly motivated, talented and driven R&D scientist with a deep background in vision-based robot control, and with ability to drive and deploy ideas for ABBs future robots.
The position is for 1.5 years and it will start as soon as possible.
You will be part of the Robotics team at ABB Corporate Research in Västerås. In our role as a Corporate Research unit we ensure ABB's technology competitiveness now and in future.
In the Robotics team we focus on mechatronics concepts & design and robot intelligence in industrial as well as service robot applications. The spatial and functional separation between humans and robots in production is in the process of developing into work in human-robot mixed environments. In this team, one of our historical highlights is the creation and development of the dual arm YuMi robot concept and the mobile YuMi concept.

Tasks:
As a part of our team, it is your task to shape a vision for tomorrow's ultra-flexible mobile robotic and manipulation systems with emphasis on autonomy and robustness in applications based on vision and other sensors.
In particular, you will work within the EU project 5GSmart (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://5gsmart.eu/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!4prv-DDmcpcYzndVh5WgpkBBnwXYzcJ_lqaJwWWNcXQy9jRhdPY8iqMbNI2gTrLBbjI1o_Gt$ ).
In this project, you will develop and test novel methods to control a small fleet of mobile robots exploiting modern communication technologies, such as 5G, as well as control approaches for vision-based navigation and mobile manipulation. A relevant research topic will be to implement new methodologies for on-the-flying picking of objects with a mobile manipulator using 5G to stream visual perception data.

Requirements
You have a PhD in robotics. Your previous research experience in machine vision and robot control is a significant merit. Familiarity with coordinated control of small fleet of robots is an advantage.
You enjoy driving specific activities to successful conclusion while following a visionary continuity in your work. To succeed in this position, you should be capable of working both independently and in a team. You will be working in an international environment. It is therefore required that you have good skills in the English language.

How to apply.
Please send a manifestation of interest in form of a single pdf document to pietro.falco(at)se.abb.com with:
-cover letter
- CV and publication list
- contact of three references

The official call will be opened in few days on ABB web site.

Additional Information
Recruiting Manager: Dr, Liwei Qi
Technical/Scientific questions; Dr. Pietro Falco Union representatives - Sveriges Ingenjörer:
Unionen: Ingela Olsson, +46 21-32 58 08.
Any other questions can be directed to recruitment consultant We look forward to receiving your application.

ABB is a pioneering technology leader that is writing the future of industrial digitalization. For more than four decades, we have been at the forefront, innovating digitally connected and enabled industrial equipment and systems. Every day, we drive efficiency, safety and productivity in utilities, industry, transport and infrastructure globally. With a heritage spanning more than 130 years, ABB operates in more than 100 countries and employs around 132,000 people.

Best regards,
Pietro

Pietro Falco, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist