[robotics-worldwide] [software] opensource release of our tools-for-multi-material-simulations

Nick nick.hockings at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:30:28 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the opensource release of our
tools-for-multi-material-simulations.

These are intended to facilitate specification and modelling of complex
life-like soft robots.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sofa-framework.org/applications/marketplace/tools-for-multi-material-simulations/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!7fZqxl9B5fpd-hMDNIF5vTh1Rja3lUVws5L5pA04KUXebHVLej3lh8DGbVS3e_9aKaZ3kXnc$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/NH89/SOFA_mesh_partitioning_tools__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!7fZqxl9B5fpd-hMDNIF5vTh1Rja3lUVws5L5pA04KUXebHVLej3lh8DGbVS3e_9aKfYEjZtq$

This is a set of tools to help users to design scenes with partitioned
meshes, especially for in multi-material finite-element simulations.
They could be used with any FEM simulator that allows specification of
properties of individual elements. Examples are provided of applications
using the open source SOFA simulation framework,
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sofa-framework.org__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!7fZqxl9B5fpd-hMDNIF5vTh1Rja3lUVws5L5pA04KUXebHVLej3lh8DGbVS3e_9aKUHZgrk-$  .

# spline_organ generates swept spline surface meshes.
# Mesh_pipeline combines multiple intersecting surface meshes to
generate partitioned tetrahedral meshes.
# demo.scn shows how to use these to build multi-material FEM models in
SOFA.
# Finger-edited.pyscn shows how to change the properties of a FEM mesh
in a running SOFA simulation using a Python Script Controller.

actuation of FEM models

License: GNU AfferoGPL open-source license.

Nick Hockings
Research Fellow
Robotics and Autonomous Systems Group
CSIRO